Cardinals Breeding Successfully In Small Community Tank With Out Tryin

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Captain_Weiner

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
Hello

My brother has had cardinals breeding in his 60l community tank. It has ember tetras, Siamese fighters, dwarf gouramis, pygmy cories, two baby discus fish and of course some cardinals. He already has had the pygmy cories breed successfully.

This morning he found 8mm cardinal fry happily swimming around.

How common is it to breed cardinals with no specific input?

That's very, very unusual indeed!

Any chance of some pictures?

I know this is off topic, but I honestly feel you should warn your brother that his stocking is not good. That's too many fish for a 60l, if he has appropriate numbers for all the shoaling fish. 60l is far, far too small for discus, even as babies, and they need to be kept in groups also, to prevent bullying (they arecichlids, after all!)

hi - thanks for concern but its all ok....the discus are a couple of runts i personally bred and he wanted them - there is no sign of bullying and both rush to the front to be fed when you enter the room and he plans to move them on once/if they grow.

He knows what he is doing and has had this tank going for about two years. It is the happiest tank you could imagine and with cardinals and cories breeding in there I don't think water quality is a problem.

Will get some pics from him.

Fair enough...

We would really like to see pictures of these fry though! The eggs of cardinals/neons are light sensitive, so it's extremely uncommon to have them hatch in normally lit tank
smile.png

Yes I agree - I thought he was confusing some small ones he may have bought and others had grown larger and relatively looked bigger - but no he last bought cardinals a year ago and these were all good sized ones.

The new additions are sub 1cm and I suspect have just "turned on" the blue so are now visible. With regards to the light sensitivity he has areas of dense plants so I guess that shaded the eggs?

His tank does baffle me a bit. He uses a single 4w LED light and yet gets amazing lush growth from dwarf chain swords, dwarf val and ambulia.The low light may have something to do with his "success/fluke"  He is a veterinarian and I guess he just has the touch - He went white baiting 2 years ago (thats where you net 4cm glass clear fry as they run from sea to river - kind of like the elvers you catch in the UK) and several hours after catching them he took the container from the fridge to make a "fritter" and found one moving. That fry is now a 10cm galaxid! (in a different tank). 

Best i could do with less than 300k

Attachments

• photostudio_1474196581839.jpg
    photostudio_1474196581839.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 221
  • photostudio_1474196875769.jpg
    photostudio_1474196875769.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 209
The dense planting must have helped; leaf litter does that job in the wild, as moist cardinals live in relatively plantless areas.

I did think they might turn out to be livebearer fry that had snuck in somehow (with new plants, perhaps), as that usually turns out to be the explanation when people think their tetras have bred, but those are definitely tetra fry!

I'm amazed the eggs/fry didn't get eaten; guess the heavy planting worked well in that regard too!

Amazing
smile.png

Really great !

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G925F met Tapatalk

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back