Tetras for 5 gallon tank

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
Suggestions?
Also have you bought from Canton Aquatic in Canton TX?
Wondering if they're closing up - lots of out of stock
Being out of stock on a lot of items can be from a number of things. They might have gone on holidays and reduced stock while away.

They might have issues getting plants due to cold weather.

They might be trying a new supplier or they might have had issues with a cold snap affecting their stock.

Monitor their website for a month and see if things improve. you can also contact them and see if they are getting more plants in soon. Just mention you were after a few plants but they seem to be out of stock currently, and will they be getting more in soon.

Being out of stock on a lot of items can be from a number of things. They might have gone on holidays and reduced stock while away.

They might have issues getting plants due to cold weather.

They might be trying a new supplier or they might have had issues with a cold snap affecting their stock.

Monitor their website for a month and see if things improve. you can also contact them and see if they are getting more plants in soon. Just mention you were after a few plants but they seem to be out of stock currently, and will they be getting more in soon.
Very true points. They're offering nearly everything (plants) Buy 2 Get 1 and their reviews have been much lower in past 6 mo. Have been monitoring for 2 mo. Also never returned my phone call.
I'm still considering them because they are within 150 miles of me and thought would be less shopping stress for plants at this time of year. 😕

Very true points. They're offering nearly everything (plants) Buy 2 Get 1 and their reviews have been much lower in past 6 mo. Have been monitoring for 2 mo. Also never returned my phone call.
I'm still considering them because they are within 150 miles of me and thought would be less shopping stress for plants at this time of year. 😕
Maybe the owner has health issues or is preparing to close the business down

Going back to tetras, a 5 gallon tank is too small for any tetras I'm afraid.

Edit - just seen your other post with the dimensions - a tank with a 12 x 12 inch footprint is way too small for any fish except perhaps a betta on its own. And looking at the images of the tank on-line, there is a sectioned off area at the back of the tank which makes the fish space smaller than 12 x 12 inches, more like 9 or 10 x 12 inches.

Last edited:
Don't mix different varieties of tetra. Either keep a group of neons, or a group of cardinals, or a group of green neons.

The Cochu's Blue tetra is not a variety of neon but is a bigger light blue tetra that does best in groups of 10 or more of its own kind. These fish either come in good, or all die within a few days of being brought into the country. If you find them in the shop tank, ask how long they have been there for and if they have lost any at all. If they have had them for several weeks with no losses, then buy a big group of them and put them in a well established tank with lots of plants.
Agree. 16 fish in a 5 gallon tank neither is a good idea in my opinion.

About densely planted tanks for cardinals :

I'm considering getting 4 different neon varieties, 4 of each (Green, Green Fire, Cochu's Blue and Cardinal). Do you think they would school eventually? Have a planted 5 gal Marineland Portrait tank.
In a 5 gallon? I would never do that.
You would have no space for them to live properly. Plus they aren't neon varieties - they are similar species with different needs for temperature. I might keep 4-6 small tetras in a 5 gallon, but no more and with nothing else.
My cochus were three times the size of a neon and loved running the length of their 4 foot tank at speed. In a tiny tank I would expect them to become very nippy from pent up energy and boredom. The die off issue Colin mentioned seems to be oxygen needs. They were happiest swimming in fast water. I just had to sell them at 2 years old because they'd never survive my move next week, but they were a nice fish very different from the others. I made sure the person who got them had a large enough tank.

Concur with the above, a 5.5G is too small for ANY of the characins...

Maybe the owner has health issues or is preparing to close the business down
I was curious if anyone has purchased plants from him. I didn't really want to start a thread because as you suggested, there may be good reasons.

Going back to tetras, a 5 gallon tank is too small for any tetras I'm afraid.

Edit - just seen your other post with the dimensions - a tank with a 12 x 12 inch footprint is way too small for any fish except perhaps a betta on its own. And looking at the images of the tank on-line, there is a sectioned off area at the back of the tank which makes the fish space smaller than 12 x 12 inches, more like 9 or 10 x 12 inches.
Thank you everyone for the candid advice. This is Exactly why I joined this forum.😊
I originally bought this tank as it was recommended as a good choice for a betta/planted tank. I had convinced myself a few small companions to keep him (betta) from sheer boredom would be ok. Thought maybe 3 Cardinals.
Then I started looking at all the pretty tetras and frankly my eyes got too big for my tank 😳 I've had several tell me along the way that'd it'd be ok. So I thought - 6 neons (2 Cardinals, 2 Green & 2 Green Fire) but was then worried they wouldn't be happy in such a small number, and with mixed varieties. I'm caIling them varieties of neons because their bodies are pretty much the same, "Neon" is in their name and I'd bet they're related. And it was easier for me to refer to them that way😏 Not saying it was right but was trying to be more general.
Anyway - I hadn't considered them darting madly around and didn't think them as being a more active fish. I've had Cardinals in the past and didn't remember that as a common behavior. I hadn't considered the tank size as an issue because thought they'd be be swimming about in the plants happily. 😳
The Cochu's was kinda an iffy choice for me, as I had a feeling they were a bit bigger than the others. They are very pretty though, I love blue fish! 😍
As far as too many fish - yes, I really do know better 😞
Never had a planted tank before though. Considered maaaaybe a heavily planted tank would make enough of a difference.🙄
So - guess I'm back to the betta and an algae cleaner.
But - I don't want the betta to be bored, was hoping he could have a buddy to interact with. And I don't want him beating up the catfish.
Sooooo -
Would 3 fish be too many?
Maybe a female Pearl gourami? I know they're kinda big - but I've always loved them.
Thoughts?
Suggestions?
BTW - You were spot on about the tank - interior measures 9½ W x 7¼" D x 14" T
☹ Poops!

I don't want the betta to be bored, was hoping he could have a buddy to interact with. And I don't want him beating up the catfish.
Sooooo -
Would 3 fish be too many?
Maybe a female Pearl gourami? I know they're kinda big - but I've always loved them.
Thoughts?

Bettas are not community fish, and the males are inherently solitary so the lone betta in this planted tank would be anything but bored...he would be very happy and lucky. Don't risk his life by adding any other fish.

Snails work, and sometimes shrimp (though a betta is able to eat shrimp).

Bettas are not community fish, and the males are inherently solitary so the lone betta in this planted tank would be anything but bored...he would be very happy and lucky. Don't risk his life by adding any other fish.

Snails work, and sometimes shrimp (though a betta is able to eat shrimp).
So - no Dory? go with a shrimp to do clean up on the plants?

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back