cardinal tetras keep dying

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Well - I have to admit I had my doubts about not floating the bag, but it worked. It has been 24 hours and I just turned the lights back on and all of the cardinal tetras are alive and seem well. They are swimming a pretty tight shoal but I'm sure as they get used to the tank and the other inhabitants they will be fine. I still can't believe that not one of them died. I'll wait a week and let you know how they are. AA and everyone thank you for your help.

Hi,

I sympathise. I bought 10 Cardinals and added to a tank with 0 ammonia and 0 nitrite, well planted, Ph 7.5. They were floated in the bag and i added little bits of tank water bit by bit then let them go after an hour or so.

After 2 days they were all dead. Weird because they settled in well and fed and seemed bright and happy.

I tried again with 5 a few days later. 2 are left after 2 days . . .

I'll try anything to get a shoal of Cardinals! But I can't go on massacaring them like this. I'll try putting a couple more in straight away as suggested above.

Wish me luck.

:(

Now that isn't very encouraging... :(

I have two choices:

- One LFS sells 12 for $10CA.
- Other LFS sells $3 EACH. But they guarantee for one week.

Which would be a better pick? So far, the second LFS appears to provide healthier sticks in general.

Just a thought about ammonia in the bag causing the problems.

If true - ie that a build up of ammonia occurs in the hour or so from the fish being netted from the lfs tank to getting them into your tank - then how on earth do they survive what must be many times that when being transported half way 'round the world to the lfs in the first place?

Topc

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back