Cardinal tetra lump

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Bettaguy23

Reaction score
I noticed this morning that 2 of my cardinal tetras appear to have small tumour like lumps below their mouth, is this something serious that I should be worried about? They seem fine still eating and swimming happily

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    144 KB · Views: 187
@Deanasue may be able to give some insight. Her and I have had the same issue

I noticed this morning that 2 of my cardinal tetras appear to have small tumour like lumps below their mouth, is this something serious that I should be worried about? They seem fine still eating and swimming happily
If they have eating problem you have to do a surgery.

Melafix is not a very strong medication, it's just tea tree oil. It may be OK for keeping a damaged area clean but if an infection gets in, you need something stronger.

It is better to use a medication to target a particular disease rather than a general treatment. And only use a medication when you have identified the disease.

As you are in the UK, you won't have access to antibiotics to treat bacterial infections (unless you go to a vet for a prescription). For bacterial infections, eSHa 2000 or Waterlife's Myxazin.
Parasitic infections need a different medication, and which one depends on the type of parasite.

For the lumps on the cardinals, we need to know what's causing them before anyone can recommend a treatment.

I think Deanasue said this was a new virus affecting neon and cardinal tetras. If it is a virus, there is no medication for treating it. The best way to treat a virus is to provide the animal or fish with ideal conditions and monitor it for secondary infections. You treat the secondary infections like bacterial or fungal infections if and when they appear.

Basic treatment for fish with viruses is to do big regular water changes and gravel clean the tank. Clean the filter. Keep the temperature at an appropriate level for the fish. Increase aeration/ surface turbulence. Reduce stress. Feed a varied diet to maximise the fish's health. Vitamin supplements can help.

A new virus affecting neon and cardinal tetras, maybe we should post warnings about new viruses on the main page to warn hobbyist of the danger to their fish. ????

Basic treatment for fish with viruses is to do big regular water changes and gravel clean the tank. Clean the filter. Keep the temperature at an appropriate level for the fish. Increase aeration/ surface turbulence. Reduce stress...
What is your water hardness and nitrate levels? Is your tank too bright? How many cardinals do you have in the tank?

There is a point behind these questions and its all about reducing stress. Cardinals are really bright fish with vivid, irridescant blue and bright red beneath that. Mine have no clear region between the blue and red. The one in your photo looks fairly pale and washed out. If it is indeed a virus they have a far better chance of resisting it if they are healthy and in the right environment.

Edit: forgot to say: cardinals really benefit from floating plants and dim lighting as they are forest fish. That white substrate will amplify the light if there is too much.

I have 2 large cardinals which are about 3 years old, fully grown, I got 6 more in October and 3 of these 6 have whitish growths, 1 on its mouth(the largest growth) one on its side and one on its back. They are all acting as normal and I do water changes every 4-5 days anyway so I’m confident in the water quality. I have added some more plants aswell. They all have pretty bright colours, I think the one you saw with the whitish area is possibly the one with the lump on its side.

I’ve done some research and many posts suggest batches of neons and cardinals are sometimes infected with parasites at birth, but these will be treated by the time they reach the fish store? I’ve treated them with melafix and white the lumps are still there, everyone seems happy :)
Thanks for all the replies guys

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back