Cardinal tetra disease? Help!

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
šŸ¶ POTM Poll is Open! šŸ¦Ž Click here to Vote! šŸ°

Fish loverr

Reaction score
Hello, I have 5 beautiful cardinal tetras and Iā€™ve noticed one has lost its colour and has flaky/peeling skin. I have no idea if it is a disease or any type of illness. I have guppies and Corydoras in the tank so I donā€™t think itā€™s being attacked. Could someone suggest from the pictures what it is and how to treat it? Thanks.

Attachments

• 5E8B9B2E-E3B7-4C95-AA4C-46132B29E391.jpeg
    5E8B9B2E-E3B7-4C95-AA4C-46132B29E391.jpeg
    90.1 KB · Views: 109
Not sure but i tend to avoid fish that have their own disease named after them.;)
Best course of action when any fish is sick stressed is to do a water change up to 75%
Could be a bacterial infection, in the past ive used melafix with success to treat bacterial infection. Guppies and tetras require different water as well tetras soft acidic water guppies on the harder alkaline side, tetras are also more sensitive to water parameters where as guppies not as much so one would would want the water to favor the tetras over the guppies. I feel the best treatment for fish is prevention. Fish get sick when theyre stressed. So it comes down to whats stressing your fish. Whats your temp? GH PH ammonia nitrates nitrite, are the fish in the tank compatible with eachother ect...other than that there are a few posters here that are have more knowledge about fish disease, sorry i couldnt help more good luck

Last edited:
I've never seen cardinal tetra disease; from the photo of the whitish area up near the spine, this looks much like neon disease which is a parasite that makes tiny cysts in the fishes' bodies. Unless there's a brand-new treatment, once they have it, they're more or less doomed. In 50+ years of keeping fish, the one thing I know for sure is that it is ESSENTIAL to remove sick fish from the tank. If a sick fish dies, the others will immediately nibble it & will get sick. Past experience with tetras including cardinals: soft, slightly acid, clean water w/ no ammonia, nitrite or nitrate (I've always added peat to the filters on my Amazon tanks). Low stress & lots of plants. Remove & humanely euthanize sick fish... that's what I've done w/ good success; my fish almost always expire from old age unless I accidentally introduce a pathogen to the tank, which can happen to the best of us. Best of luck to you.

Cardinal tetras are the one tetra that canā€™t get neon tetras disease and there is no cardinal tetra disease that Iā€™m aware of. It is probably a bacterial disease. Since you donā€™t have access to antibiotics, I recommend daily water changes of 75% for 2 weeks. Tetraā€™s donā€™t do well with aquarium salt so just the water changes. It is usually in connected to water quality issues. What is your ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, and PH? Also water temp?

Thanks for the replies! Iā€™ve also had a friend whos an ā€œexpertā€ in fish keeping and suggests itā€™s a bacterial infection. Iā€™m going to get this fish back to good Health! Thanks again :)

Thanks for the replies! Iā€™ve also had a friend whos an ā€œexpertā€ in fish keeping and suggests itā€™s a bacterial infection. Iā€™m going to get this fish back to good Health! Thanks again :)
You still didnā€™t tell us your water parameters. We need to rule that out first before jumping to bacterial treatment. :)

post a picture that is in focus.

it could be a microsporidian infection. this will look like the muscle tissue under the skin is turning cream or white.

@Fish loverr I notice you live in London, so you will have very hard water. Could you look on your water company's website, please, to find out exactly how hard your water is. You need a number and the unit of measurement rather than some vague words.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back