Cardinal Dennerli Shrimps Dying?!

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Jehadkh

Reaction score
Hello everyone im not new in the shrimps hobby and breeding shrimps i got 3 tanks with neocaridina and 3 tanks with caridina and tigers galaxies tibee amanos almost everything and all is doing fine except caridinals now my problem is that i got a new tank from 2 weeks with cardinal shrimps like 15 shrimp from local breeder and they start dying like each two days i found one is dead still like 4 of them left now ,

"Before one year in the start i kept cardinals for 3 months in tap water and they breed normally but the tank cracked and everything in it is gone"

Today im more in this hobby and using Ro/di water and i think im in the next level but lts talk about the tank parameters

Reminerals salt : Dennerle Sulawesi Gh+/Kh+

Now the Water prameter is :
Tank volume is 60L

pH 7.6 - 8.0
Ammonia : 0
Nitrite : 0
Nitrate : 20-30 its a little high i know
GH : 8
Kh : 5
Tds : 240
Temp : 29C

Tank mates : 7 Rabbit snails , 10 orange sunkist shrimps "Neos"

Substrate : Seachem Flourite Black + Ceramic Media Underneath covered with the soil

Filter : Pat Mini Aquael Already Cycled with the help of another filter

With some rocks and Floating plants and java fern

I think that the parameter is good to enough to keep them alive any suggestions maybe the tank is big for them or flow is high or im doing something wrong ?

something to say and i think its important ,
I know that the anntenas of the cardinal shrimps is longer than others small shrimps but the cardinals i have now they got very short antennas maybe thats the reason they are dying ?

Almost all the time they are steady not grazing or moving they prefeer to hide and standstill

Really need advices and suggestions

Any questions or missing info ill reply and provide more pic if needed

Thnx

Plant Insect Arthropod Asphalt Road surface

Insect Arthropod Asphalt Pest Road surface

I would say the nitrate level is changing too fast, and shrimp are being stressed because of that

If the shrimp started dying straight after you got them home and put them in the new tank, it is either shock from different water chemistry (pH, GH & KH), or they have a disease. The temperature might be a bit high for them too but it depends on what the breeder kept them at.

Perhaps contact the breeder and ask what his water temperature is, and also what pH, GH & KH his tanks are. If there is a lot of difference between your water chemistry and the breeder's water chemistry, that is the most likely cause.

If you want to treat them, perhaps add some salt. It shouldn't harm them and can kill of minor fungal, bacterial and protozoan infections.

----------------------
SALT
You can add rock salt (often sold as aquarium salt) or swimming pool salt to the aquarium at the dose rate of 1 heaped tablespoon per 20 litres of water. If there is no improvement after 48 hours you can double that dose rate so there is 2 heaped tablespoons of salt per 20 litres.

Keep the salt level like this for at least 2 weeks but no longer than 4 weeks otherwise kidney damage can occur. Kidney damage is more likely to occur in fish from soft water (tetras, Corydoras, angelfish, Bettas & gouramis, loaches) that are exposed to high levels of salt for an extended period of time, and is not an issue with livebearers, rainbowfish or other salt tolerant species.

The salt will not affect the beneficial filter bacteria, fish, plants, shrimp or snails.

After you use salt and the fish have recovered, you do a 10% water change each day for a week using only fresh water that has been dechlorinated. Then do a 20% water change each day for a week. Then you can do bigger water changes after that. This dilutes the salt out of the tank slowly so it doesn't harm the fish.

If you do water changes while using salt, you need to treat the new water with salt before adding it to the tank. This will keep the salt level stable in the tank and minimise stress on the fish.

When you first add salt, add the salt to a small bucket of tank water and dissolve the salt. Then slowly pour the salt water into the tank near the filter outlet. Add the salt over a couple of minutes.

Colin had pointed out one important factor - Your water chemistry - pH, GH, KH.
If your tank water GH, pH, KH are completely different, it will kill them as the shrimps have been raised in different water chemistry and they won't b able to adapt to it.

Check with the breeder their water chemistry and what kind of salt(mineral) that they used.
Some breeders have their own mix of minerals which can be totally different.

Also, shrimps are very sensitive to any kind of contaminants/metal toxic in the water.
It's best to use only neutral sand that won't affect you water.
What kind/brand of soil that you use?

Lastly, how long have you set up your tank and filters?
It's best to let it your tank and filter established for 2-3 months before introducing the Cardinal shrimps.
Also, you need to let the algae grow first for 1-2 months before introducing them. They eat mainly algae and they don't really eat commercial food.

Last edited:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back