Cardboard backgroung needs waterproofed?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

FroFro

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
I recently got a hold of a cardboard cutout of one my favorite movies and I'm wanting to convert it into an aquarium background, but my issue is that its not waterproof! Does anyone know a way to waterproof cardboard without painting over the design? I read online using waterbased paint/sprays/chemicals can cause the cardboard to warp and therefore lose its design, I've also read epoxy is a no as it turns yellow and crusty on cardboard. Anyone here artsy know of a way?

If it matters its a fairly large piece that will be on a tank about 6 feet long to 2 1/2 high.

Why not put it behind the rear glass instead of inside the tank.

Why not put it behind the rear glass instead of inside the tank.
I intend to put it on the rear glass and use velcro clings for easy removal, however here in arizona we have a swamp cooler, not AC (basically a giant humidifier with a fan) and it can make the cardboard moist over time. Not to mention I'm very hands-on when cleaning and rearranging driftwood during weekly cleaning. I also handfeed my loaches and angelfish, so water is a concern no matter how careful I am.

Maybe wrap tightly in clear plastic wrap if moisture is an issue.

Last edited:
Maybe wrap tightly in clear plastic wrap if moisture is an issue.
That’s exactly what I was going to recommend. Just wrap it all the way around with some cores plastic. Make sure to wrap it pretty tight so it doesn’t have any creases in it. ;)

Take it to a printing or sign shop and have it laminated in plastic.
You could do that, but it’s all about the $, and what the OP is willing to spend. Plastic wrap is very cheap, and you can get it at Walmart. (Just IMO. ;))

You could do that, but it’s all about the $, and what the OP is willing to spend. Plastic wrap is very cheap, and you can get it at Walmart. (Just IMO. ;))
Money would be an issue in the sense of if it was more than thirty bucks. I thought of plastic wrap but because of the high amount of humidity in my house it could still get wet and warp the card board. Plus plastic wrap wouldn't let me see the design.

Take it to a printing or sign shop and have it laminated in plastic.
I didn't think of that. I kept thinking it had to be laminated somehow but due to its odd shape an office store might not be able to do that. Thanks I'll look into some local businesses.

I didn't think of that. I kept thinking it had to be laminated somehow but due to its odd shape an office store might not be able to do that. Thanks I'll look into some local businesses.
That’s probably the best option in your position. Good luck! ;)

Can you get to a hardware store or similar? You might be able to get some kind of waterproofing spray. Here in the UK you can get several types, depending on the material, for say leather (clothing and shoes), wood or other (decking or fencing). I am sure they would do some kind of waterproofing for textiles?

Can you get to a hardware store or similar? You might be able to get some kind of waterproofing spray. Here in the UK you can get several types, depending on the material, for say leather (clothing and shoes), wood or other (decking or fencing). I am sure they would do some kind of waterproofing for textiles?
I'd already looked into that, but similar to paints it would warp the design on the card board and cause it to crease and bubble. This is a cutout from my favorite movie and it's from an in store display that can't be replaced. Thank you for the suggestion though.

I'd already looked into that, but similar to paints it would warp the design on the card board and cause it to crease and bubble. This is a cutout from my favorite movie and it's from an in store display that can't be replaced. Thank you for the suggestion though.
Art supply store...glaze, matte or shiny.
Not sure just a suggestion. Glazing isn't easy, though. You have to work fast, have the right brush, etc...
Tell the most experienced person there what you want to do and see of they think it will work out
Tip: don't glaze in a cold room or it will gum up

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back