Carbon

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Great Lakes

Always do right, not popular...
Reaction score
Just read an article on carbon in the marine aquarium. It made some rather good points. I do use carbon,(although inadequately according to what I read), and have seen discussion go both ways.
From what I read, using the correct kind has no ill affects, and can be very beneficial.
Comments? :)

GL - I am a fan of Carbon, its been a while since i researched the topic. I run 3 cups of Carbon for a month every other month. I will paste a link to a great article that you or others can read - in this article they mention that municipal water plants use carbon for a single pass. So I figured I wouldn't want to continuously run my trapped tank water through the carbon. I know over-filtration can cause issues (ie, all your filter feeders die) so i don't want to strip out too much of the trace elements with the use of carbon.

http://saltaquarium.about.com/gi....ac.htm...m/gi....ml]http

CG. I was hoping you would hop on this thread. I was thinking of you when I started it. You were talking about limited coral growth. I run my carbon in a 350 magnum to supplement water flow also. The new frags I had were doing well until the last week. I had to pull my carbon out cause it was time. I have been running without it since, and my corals are lackluster the last few days. I am going downstate this weekend and plan on picking up the good stuff that I can't find here. Here is the link I was at.
  http://www.hallman.org/plant.html

P.S. Since you are running carbon at what seems to be the acceptable volume, we can rule that out :)

Hi GL,

Well, I have been speaking with several people regarding my coralline algae – most seem to agree that the coralline is, and has been, doing just fine. It’s just that the rock is all purple and I want to grow some yellow and reds. Of course in my eyes if my coralline was growing then I would see it on my glass or rocks. Anyway, that’s why ordered the grunge from Garf – that has dumped all sorts of colors in there, now I just need to wait another couple of months to see if those colors grow.

As for my corals. The consensus is that I have purchased the incorrect corals – since I have not been able to properly explain to people what I had in that tank that died they were convinced that I had the wrong types. Tomorrow, I will receive 7 new frags from Garf – these frags are tank raised and will be really small, so I will let you know how they go. I am also going to pay a little more attention to my UV – I am thinking that its been a little while. My bulb may be covered with algae, or my pump may need cleaning – both would alter the rate at which my water is purified. Aside from this, I am not sure so I will just be keeping my fingers crossed. Oh, in the past I had a couple of tangs…..tangs like to pick at things ( I use to have outright gorgeous plants….use to) Since my Tangs were eradicated during my Hawaii disaster, that is another factor that is different in the tank.

Reefkeeping is still quite a mystery. I do believe most of us are still puzzled at times. The Grunge sounds real interesting. I can't wait to hear how it works.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back