car boot

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

slt

Fish Gatherer
Reaction score
just thought i'd tell you about my little bargain, i was looking round
a car boot sale today and got a glass tank 16inch x 8inch x 8inch it's got plastic
hood & air pump with it it only cost me £3 could'nt leave it there for
that price, don't no what i'll use it for yet. typical it was only the other day
i had a small tank given me which i'm treating my shark in, had'nt got a
hospital now i've got 2 :thumbs: :thumbs:

its a pretty small tank, how about making it into a snailery ... I have one :) They are really cool... Applesnails are cool.

yes nice one william, i do like applesnails but never got any because i
didn't want all my plants eaten, how many could i put in the tank,
my local dealer sell's them think there £2. 50 , :) :) :thumbs:

If you get the gold ones, they are Pomascea bridgesi and they don't eat plants, the big brown ones are P. Cannulicata and they do eat plants!! Like fish the tank will need to cycle although I would say snails are more tough!

Get one or two to start with I would say, maybe you can keep 4 in there in total... I may be wrong its hard to picture a tank without seeing it! I find the website www.applesnail.net extremely useful, they too have a forum which I have posted many questions on although they are not as busy as us!

To feed, fish flakes or any plant material eg: lettuce spinach cucumber etc... make sure you wash it well and if possible blanch it, they especially like old material that has started to go a touch brown.

Hope this helps you somewhat, and I am trying to get my applesnails to breed! I have 6 P. Bridgesi and want them to have babies, 1 P. Cannulicata, and 2 ramshorns my tank for them isn't huge either, I think its about 7 gallons. I think mine is probably overstocked but a guy was gonna throw some away, so I had to take them!! In my trpical tank where I used to keep them, I was worried they weren't feeding ok besides I wanted to breed them. They lay eggs above water - if you don't want babies just dispose of the eggs ;)

thanks william, they were the gold ones in lfs , i could cycle the tank with
my 2 rosybarbs , the only filter i have is ugf that i replaced with 2 internals
filters in my tank so if i set the little tank up with ugf would this be ok,
yes i read that they lay eggs out of water & they were pink :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:

ahhh i've been thick, i thought a snails were tropical not cold water, no
rosy barbs are tropical, so how do i cycle the tank, :S :S :S

Apple snails can be either! B) Just cycle the tank with a couple of them ;) Obviously don't overfeed though after coming from a shop where they are sold as "algae eaters "lol they will be really hungry, try plant material more than fish food, although fish food is good for them... They are tough critters so they probably can survive the cycle, I would get two if I were you to cycle with. They become quite friendly after a while! Remember... the smaller you buy them the longer you keep them... in theory anyway ;) Also sometimes small uns are cheaper...

thanks for all your info, i'll start of then with 2 i will let you no when i get
them , thanks :thumbs: :thumbs:

cool thanks, Also... they need calcium in their tank, i used a cuttlefish (pick them up in shops for birds i think ?) Just boil it a bit first.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back