Cant keep snails

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

PunkRock050

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
For some reason, every time I get a snail it dies after about 3 weeks or so. Ive had 2 big ones do this and just today my original snail died that had been in there since i started the tank. :sad:

I know youre going to ask for my parameters, but I dont have them handy right now. I went to the LFS last week and had it checked and everything was normal. My water temp stays at 82 degrees. What could be the problem? Lack of food? I dont have much algae, my tank is really clean.

they do need to be fed as well as eating the algae, try puting in an algae wafer and some cucumber.

you really would be better off with your own test kits, the lfs will say its fine because they want to sell you more fish.

I think you're snails have starved. Contrary to what pet stores sell them as, I often heard them sold as algae eating snails... once I got a small applesnail and they reduced the price because they said that it wouldn't eat much algae in my tank :blink: :blink:

This is completely wrong they need feeding, they love fish flakes and algae wafers and cucumber/courgette which has been blanched, they also like blanched brocoli and beans. The vegetables are often best because in a community tanks the snails find it difficult to get the fish food as it gets eaten before it touches the ground.

Hope this is of some use try: http://fish.orbust.net/bridgesi.html

Yeah I figured they were starving. Man, I feel bad now :sad:

I guess I could start using cucumber, because the algae pellets get devoured too quick by my other fish. What other fish would eat the cucumber? I have tiger barbs, bala sharks, blue gouramis, swords, and some platies. Is there a special way to prepare it before I drop it in?

all the other fish will have a nibble at it, you will have to weight it down or it will float, you can use a piece of the lead that come around plants or buy a veggie clip from your lfs, about £2.99. just cut off a slice and add it. you could drop in an algae wafer at night when the other fish are asleep.

Yep if you blanch it will be more suceptable to sinking as well ;)

I use ice cream sticks to hold down the courgette and cucumber. Just stick it through the veggie and into the gravel. The fishies eat every last bit of it that way and leave the stick behind :)

Im assuming "blanching" is boiling? How long should I do this for? Do I peel the skin off?

No its ok with the skin on, they'll eat that too. Just boil it for say 1-3 minutes in boiling water, this just breaks the cell walls of the plant which makes it easier for fish/snails to eat and also easier for them to digest. It will also make the cucumber/courgette more likely to sink. :)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back