can't keep neocaridinas alive [spoiler: no survivors]

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

@vince82 uses RO with added minerals so source water is always identical. Same as I do so my 80% changes guarantee the water parameters are stable. I'd be nervous about using top soil, especially if it ever gets disturbed. All my tanks are (inert) sand only.
From post #1: "I used to use tap water from where I was, and now I use RO+equilibrium, so I guess the problem is problem somewhere in that."

The shrimp thrived in the OP's tap water source, and now they do not with RO + added minerals

The (new) identical source water is obviously not adequate for keeping healthy inverts

That was my original point, but I admit could have worded it differently for clarity ;)

I'm lucky to have tap water that my shrimp and snails thrive in, as well as my fish, so no experience with RO water setups

I'm lucky to have tap water that my shrimp and snails thrive in, as well as my fish, so no experience with RO water setups

Me too! My water is fairly hard, I've never known anything about TDS, and I do large water changes, but the neos and amanos don't seem to mind. I'd struggle if I had to math a lot.

I have been keeping neocaridinia in a 5.5 gal successfully for going on two years now (wow, time flies). I use RODI water as I have a well with very high iron for which I use potassium salts and a product called Iron Out for my tap water.

Get yourself a TDS meter. You can buy them cheap off Amazon. I keep the TDS around 180. When it starts to creep up, I do a very small water change. I buy a product called Shrimp Mineral GH/KH+. It is a powder that dissolves quickly and completely (unlike Seachem Equillibrium which I have used in my fish-only aquariums with the RODI water). When water evaporates I add straight RODI water, tiny amounts, dripped over time.

With the hydra, I would pick them out whenever you see them. In the past, if you donā€™t have a dedicated new turkey baster to suck the little bastards out, then you could use a straw with your finger covering one end as you stick the other end into the water, then when you are close to the hydra, suck it up into the straw when you remove your finger. Just put the finger on the straw again when you pull it out and then discard it and rinse the straw through your tap water.

One other thing Iā€™d like to point out is that is a lot of shrimp for such a small cube. You might have better luck with fewer shrimp, as far as keeping them alive. I must admit though, I probably have 30-50 neos in my little 5.5 gallon, in addition to several snails and some micro crabs. It didnā€™t start with that many, but the neos have multiplied.

For the heck of it, do you have any other botanicals in your cube? For example, in my little crusteacean tank I also have oak leaves, almond leaves, alder cones, driftwood, large rocks, inert pebble substrate and about a dozen different types of plants. This gives young shrimp plenty of grazing surfaces and hiding spots for when they molt.

Good luck with your shrimp.

Got the noplanaria to dose for hydra,made sure the dose was correct (easy mistake to make in a tiny volume), dosed it.... Killed all shrimp.
giphy (1).gif

Ok F it. Next time I try Caridina instead of Neocaridina, since softer water is easier to do for me than harder water.
Ordered a 10 gallons aquarium and some Gh/Kh+.
Also inert substrate.

Sigh.

following this thread for ideas because I struggle to keep mine alive too . (thats no help at all is it, sorry!) Currently trying more food for the assassin snails so they dont try to get at my shrimps for lunch. I am tempted to remove them completely now they have eaten all the snails i just feel guilty like 'you done your job well, now get lost !' poor things :/ I also ordered from a different person in case they had very different water levels to mine

Get a TDS meter if you donā€™t already have one. Shrimp thrive in my tank, and TDS is usually around 180/200, but 150-300 is fine. I use a product called Saltyshrimp, I got through Amazon. You can add it to your water for changes to get a TDS around 150 or so. Itā€™s said to give better results then other products like Seachemā€™s.

Get a TDS meter if you donā€™t already have one. Shrimp thrive in my tank, and TDS is usually around 180/200, but 150-300 is fine. I use a product called Saltyshrimp, I got through Amazon. You can add it to your water for changes to get a TDS around 150 or so. Itā€™s said to give better results then other products like Seachemā€™s.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230613_161931_com.android.gallery3d.jpg
    Screenshot_20230613_161931_com.android.gallery3d.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 19

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back