Can't Find A Straight Answer

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

McCool

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Stiphodon Atropurpureus 

Are they freshwater? Are they brackish? I'm seeing both when I try to find an answer.

I'm looking into different gobies to go with a F8 puffer other then BBGs, but can't figure out about this particular one.

From the few pages i looked at they are freshwater, but do more to brackish to spawn

Very pretty little fish

Alright, thanks! Has anyone had them in a salinity of around 1.003? I know it's on the low side for F8s, but I'm also trying to do all live plants so I'm meeting in the middle!

I've been doing quite a bit of research on these little guys recently. I just got what I think is one a couple of days ago. From my understanding they are not brackish, but can life in slightly brackish waters.

What plants work with a salinity that high?

I special ordered them, but they only got the females, not the males. So I only got one and the females are hard to distinguish between the separate genus.

But, so far I love watching her. Very interesting behavior!

1.003 is actually a very low salinity. I'm not even sure it could be considered "brackish." There's a pinned thread somewhere over in the plant section on brackish plants. Vals, java fern, java moss, banana plant, hornwort and glosso are some, and there are a couple more. For once I'm doing a tank with high light and possibly CO2 in the future, so I'll be able to have more options with the plants! :)
If I do come across them in my LFS, I'll be sure to check them out. I've seen them have them in stock before, so maybe I'll get lucky! They are pretty cute.

Ah makes sense then. I honestly don't know a whole lot about it... I just add aquarium salt to my tank so I'm not even sure what the levels are.

Weiro792 said:
Ah makes sense then. I honestly don't know a whole lot about it... I just add aquarium salt to my tank so I'm not even sure what the levels are.
You can pick up a hydrometer pretty cheap at most pet stores. :) I can't wait to get started on this tank! While I've helped with salt tanks, I've never had one of my own. This will be my first time venturing outside freshwater!

Awesome! Have fun! I may have to pick one up... 

Most reactions

trending

Back