Can't Decide On Colour Of Substrate (Sand) For My Tank

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Zikofski

Chatroom Moderator
Chatroom Moderator
Reaction score
says what it says in the title, i have a black back ground painted on the tank can't change that, i was going to go with black sand, onto of black substrate, but then I'm thinking to much black?, i have mini landscape rocks, which are Light, and some small pieces of bog wood, and this tank will be HEAVILY planted, so would black sand and black back ground compliment the green n colours of plants along with the light landscape rocks? or will it just be to much dark, bare in mind the fish i will be putting into the tank are also light, neons, danios, blue eyed orange BN pleco, and salt n pepper corys

I would say if it's going to be heavily planted like you say then all that black would be okay because then the colors of everything else will pop and be super pretty.

If it's going to be heavily planted you probably won't even see the back so the plants on a dark substrate should really pop.
The black will also highlight the fishes colour, except for the corys who'll go quite dark on a black substrate, maybe go for albino or sterbai instead

Black.

If you can't have black. Then go brown.

okay thank you everyone black it is :D

I agree that black will make the plants stand out.

How about blue?

PInk?

Green?

:p

:lol:

Black will also make the fish poop and any other debris stand out as well.

OMG ch4 hahaha :) ok black it is for definite thnx

TwoTankAmin said:
Black will also make the fish poop and any other debris stand out as well.

Hence my suggesting the option of brown.

There's also grey.

My tank is Black on Black I love it. You can see my tank in my Sig its an 80 Gal.  I had light color substrate for years and made the switch to black a year ago I like it with plants.  

i just chanted out my gravel for black sand and i have to say its made all the colors of the fish 10x more vibrant.

Before:

Current (still in process of aquascaping decor):

Fish colors:

all the white specs on the sand is air bubbles this was taken right after i added the sand. they have since gone and its looks awesome couldnt be happier with the decision to go to black.

cheers people thank you for that really helped i went with black Seachem Flourite Black Sand

I have found black always seems to make things pop more. I played around with white for a while but it wasn't the same.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back