Canister recommendations

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

PorshaF

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Setting up a 60gallon(227litre) and going to the local petsmart to pick up a new filter. I want to start cycling today or tomorrow, I heard marineland magniflow 360 is a good one, anyone else have good recommendations that I can probably find at the store?

I use a Aquaclear 70 on my 60 gallon that has been working well. If you wanted more filtration you could use the next larger. I started with a Marine Land filter with the bio wheels, didn't like the cartridges, and modifying it to use my filter medium wasn't too good. I then went with a Aquaclear 110 but got so much florite sand in it I destroyed the motor. Had a AC 70 kicking around and it does the job without too much current, never replaced it. I have it mounted in the middle of the tank. My tank doesn't use CO2 but has a number of plants in it. I also keep the stocking relatively low.

Although the aquaclear filters are not perfect they are great for not having to purchase addition cartridges, just rinse the sponge and bio substrate and put it back in the filter. If you need a polishing pad you can put that in too.

It really depends on how much you are going to stock your tanks with and how heavy a stocking you are considering. I find heavily stocked tanks a lot more work.

It would help to know the intended fish for this aquarium before deciding on a filter. And are live plants intended.

I just got a fluval 307 for my 55 gallon. I swapped it with the sun sun hw-304b (that moved to my 75 gallon). Then on my other 55 gallon, I have a penn-plax cascade 700. I like the adjustable flow on the 307 and 700. I also don’t have any complaints on the sun-sun. All canisters, all under 200$, and all do a great job so far filtering my set ups.

I was thinking sand, driftwood,live plants since I don't have submerged plants in any of my other ones. Hopefully 6 or 8 yellow lab cichlids. I'm waiting to see what they have when the tank is finished cycle. But I do want to have a species tank, so not looking to stock heavily

I was thinking sand, driftwood,live plants since I don't have submerged plants in any of my other ones. Hopefully 6 or 8 yellow lab cichlids. I'm waiting to see what they have when the tank is finished cycle. But I do want to have a species tank, so not looking to stock heavily
If keeping rift lake cichlids I would go for 5x turn over per hour

Most reactions

Back