Canister or Hang on the Back filter?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

enfiskejer

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I'm new to fish keeping and I'm setting up a 100 litre tank. I'm a little conflicted on whether to get a hang on the back filter or a canister filter, for canister I was thinking an Eheim 150/250 or a Fluval one.
It will be a freshwater tank with plants.
What do you think?

Personally I always prefer canister filters to everything except a sump tank. Generally have more capacity, better flow and are easier to maintain.

Both Eheim and Fluval are good brands.

Personally I always prefer canister filters to everything except a sump tank. Generally have more capacity, better flow and are easier to maintain.

Both Eheim and Fluval are good brands.
I disagree that canister filters are easier to maintain than HOB's; I own both, and the canister filter cleaning is MUCH more involved than cleaning my HOBs. So is the initial setup.

This tank is only about 26 USG; I would recommend an HOB or two over a canister filter.

I always seem to make more mess cleaning HOBS than canisters. Canister I can disconnect and take outside. HOB I seem to always drip water everywhere and make a mess in the tank.

Could very well just be because of awkward positioning and my own clumsiness though.

I always seem to make more mess cleaning HOBS than canisters. Canister I can disconnect and take outside. HOB I seem to always drip water everywhere and make a mess in the tank.

Could very well just be because of awkward positioning and my own clumsiness though.
First time I cleaned my Eheim canister, I carried it to the sink, and popped open a valve, not realizing the canister still had some pressure within....got a nice face-full of delicious poopy mulm...:sick:

To clean a HOB filter.
Turn off the power and unplug it.
Wait a moment and some of the water should automatically drain out of the filter via the uplift tube.
Slowly lift the filter up and let more water drain out of the uplift tube.
When the filter has stopped draining, carry it into the kitchen or wherever and clean it.

After it is cleaned, put the filter back on the tank.
Add filter media.
Put intake tube in. Slide it down from above so it goes into the slot.
Fill the filter with aquarium water.
Plug filter in and turn on.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back