Canister Filter.

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

britt

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
What is the best canister filter for a 20g I was looking at eheim classic rated for 66g just incase I upgrade tanks.

I highly rate the fluval 06 range, only down side is you have to buy the spraybar seperate but that's a personal preference I find mine very easy to remove & clean thanks to the aquastop system

First up, ignore the ratings, get the filter you want, not what they suggest. Pretty much all of them over sell their filters. I'm currently setting up an eheim rated for 100l tanks on a 30l and am perfectly happy with that. My 90l tank has a filter that officially turns over 2000lph (but it doesn't, not even close).

A lot of it will depend on the tank set up you want, the more scape, be it plants or hardscape, the more punch you will need to keep the flow going over the whole tank. Overfiltering is pretty much impossible, over doing the flow is possible, but is redeemable with the right outlets and spray bars.

DrRob its nice to finally hear that i have a choice, haha not something you usually hear in this hobby but i understand the rating system flaws.

Garbolino, could you send me a link with the info for that filter?

DrRob said:
First up, ignore the ratings, get the filter you want, not what they suggest. Pretty much all of them over sell their filters. I'm currently setting up an eheim rated for 100l tanks on a 30l and am perfectly happy with that. My 90l tank has a filter that officially turns over 2000lph (but it doesn't, not even close).

A lot of it will depend on the tank set up you want, the more scape, be it plants or hardscape, the more punch you will need to keep the flow going over the whole tank. Overfiltering is pretty much impossible, over doing the flow is possible, but is redeemable with the right outlets and spray bars.
 I agree!!

britt said:
What is the best canister filter for a 20g I was looking at eheim classic rated for 66g just incase I upgrade tanks.

The canister filter I use is the API Filstar and I am very happy with it. The construction is solid and the filter runs quiet. I too looked at the eheim filters, but after looking at them in the store thought the construction was a little weak. I plan to get a couple more of these Filstar filters in the near future for additional aquariums I plan to get.

Yup, agree with DrRob about filtration output not always accurate, reckon they get these numbers when the filter is actually empty of anything inside (media, sponges, bio, etc).

I use a Tetratec Ex1200 for my 90l tank. Has control valves in which you can adjust water outflow to suit your setup.

I also had a Fluval U2 110 internal filter for a 60l tank that also had 3 adjustable flow outputs as well to suit your tank.

So, don't worry too much about high ratings, just as long they have valve control valves on the hose attachments then you're good to go with whichever filter you like best 
good.gif

No such thing as overfiltration IMO 
smile.png

whatever you can afford really,
i have a fluval 305 and a fluval fx6 on my 260L
im turning over (according to the books) over 4000L an hour.

Filtration is the only thing you CANNOT afford to skimp on :p
by all means get cheap anything else but filtration is key.

The OTTO PF2000N is a real cheap filter wich is one i have in my 200L tank, it pumps 2000PH and toooo powerfull if anything , i ended up making my own spray bar for it, cost me Bugger all
Its great for the money ($50) NEW

Most reactions

trending

Back