Canister Filter Replacement

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

voyagerxp

Reaction score
Hi i've been keeping fish for a few months now and when i set it up i brought a cheap canister filter but it kept losing flow out the spray bar and the thing was awful when cleaning it out as it had no priming button. I decided to replace it with a Fluvial 107 External Filter. Now the filter has not space to add some of my old filter media so i'm running them both at the same time but tuned to flow down on my new one but what i'd like to know his how long do i keep both running until the new Fluvial 107 External Filter gets a build up of beneficial bacteria.

I would say keep them running for a month at least. The bacteria need about 4-6 weeks to fully grow and establish a strong culture. Remember the filter media isn't the only place the bacteria are living they are in the gravel and the decorations as well all over plants.

you can take the old filter media/ materials out of the old filter and put them in the new filter.

It's a bit of a 'catch 22'. Lets assume your old filter contained all of the beneficial bacteria necessary to process ammonia etc. that your bio-load produces. In theory, adding another 'new' filter would not develop beneficial bacteria very well at all because your old filter is doing the job. Okay, a bit overly simplistic, but you can see the logic.

Also, if it's an established tank (6 months or longer), there may also be sufficient BB in the tank, especially the substrate.

In any case, I agree with @Colin_T - your better off transferring bio-media from the old filter to the new one and removing the old filter altogether.

:)

It's a bit of a 'catch 22'. Lets assume your old filter contained all of the beneficial bacteria necessary to process ammonia etc. that your bio-load produces. In theory, adding another 'new' filter would not develop beneficial bacteria very well at all because your old filter is doing the job. Okay, a bit overly simplistic, but you can see the logic.

Also, if it's an established tank (6 months or longer), there may also be sufficient BB in the tank, especially the substrate.

In any case, I agree with @Colin_T - your better off transferring bio-media from the old filter to the new one and removing the old filter altogether.

:)
The old filter has bio balls and sponges that i don't think would fit in the new filter so not sure howi would do that.

The old filter has bio balls and sponges that i don't think would fit in the new filter so not sure howi would do that.
Cut the sponges up and stuff them into one of the trays and just put the bio balls into some pantyhose and stick it wherever it fits in the trays....filters don't need to be overly complicated or 'organised'

Give the filter a shake to dislodge any air pockets, make sure the pipes aren't touching anything that might vibrate. It shouldn't be noisy - sometimes just shifting it an inch will stop a mysterious hum.

Cut the sponges up and stuff them into one of the trays and just put the bio balls into some pantyhose and stick it wherever it fits in the trays....filters don't need to be overly complicated or 'organised'
Thanks, i've cut the sponges to size to fit the new filter. The new filter came with a bag of carbon so i removed that and added the bio balls from the old filter so now i'm just running the new filter.

Most reactions

Back