Can you overdose tap water conditioner?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Beckett

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Is it possible to overdose tap water conditioner? I have API conditioner and it says 1ml for 20 gallons. I only plan to do 10 gallon weekly water changes. There is no 0.5ml mark on my measuring cap so I am wondering if it will be hamrful to my fish if I am a little over?

Yes you can. but when I have heard about it, it is usually being well over 1ml off. I would recommend you get a 1 ml syringe Typically they have markings to get you within 0.1 of the desired dose.

I use the API, it is 1 drop per gallon, or 1 ml for 20 gallons (as you mentioned). I use one of those medical eye-droppers like Steven mentioned, with ml marked; then I can fill it to 1 ml for 20 gallons in my larger tanks, or carefully squirt one drop per gallon for smaller tanks.

Most manufacturers will say their conditioner is "safe" if overdosed or something similar. It seems that they define "safe" meaning the fish will not immediately die. Adding any substance to the tank water means it will likely get inside the fish via osmosis, and this should always be kept to the absolute essential minimum.

Thanks all! I will order one of those droppers just to make things easier in the future.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back