Can You Keep Angel Fish With Algae Eaters?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Buurroowwss

Reaction score
I've had a look through the forum and from what i can see there is no answer to this question so here it is ...

I'm a beginner when it comes to keeping tropical fish however i know that Angels can be quite aggressive and territorial so i was wondering if it was possible to keep them with any type of algae eaters?

I am only keeping a small tank therefore i only have a few angles however i am unsure if this is a good combo. Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks.  

Angels are normally only aggressive towards each other, although they will eat things like small tetras when they're fully grown. They're normally quite safe with algae eaters.

The biggest problem is that some algae eaters (the Chinese ones, in particular) can develop a taste for other fish's slime coats, and slow swimming, flat sided fish, like angels are a 'favourite'  target for that sort of behaviour.

I'm slightly worried that you say your tank is small; angels grow quite big and need a tank that is at least three feet long and 18" tall. Some algae eaters also grow very large, so you need to choose carefully so you don't end up with a monster fish!

Oh, welcome to the forum, btw!

fluttermoth said:
I'm slightly worried that you say your tank is small; angels grow quite big and need a tank that is at least three feet long and 18" tall. Some algae eaters also grow very large, so you need to choose carefully so you don't end up with a monster fish!

Yeah I know about the fish size, the tank is small compared to what my parents used to keep. Sorry should have been more specific but the tank isn't too small for them don't worry.

And with regards to the algae eaters targeting flat sided fish I did not know that so I'll definitely keep that in mind thank you!

Angels are only aggressive toward their own until they pair up, then they are willing to wipe out anything in the tank they can. They for sure will drive the other fish to the opp. end of a tank if big enough. if not fish may start being harmed.

How small of a tank. Angels need to be in tall tanks and they do need some space lengthwise too. Breeding is a different situation. Skilled breeders can do that in 10 gal tanks, But those only contain the pair.

TwoTankAmin said:
How small of a tank. Angels need to be in tall tanks and they do need some space lengthwise too. Breeding is a different situation. Skilled breeders can do that in 10 gal tanks, But those only contain the pair.

I'm not sure of the exact measurements sorry but the tank is big enough to hold them, plus it is only the 2 of them who are nearly full sized so there is more than enough room! And (I hope) that the 2 angels are the same sex too so no babies hopefully.

Buurroowwss said:

I'm not sure of the exact measurements sorry but the tank is big enough to hold them, plus it is only the 2 of them who are nearly full sized so there is more than enough room! And (I hope) that the 2 angels are the same sex too so no babies hopefully.
Actually, if they are the same sex, then they'll probably end up killing each other...

Really, though, what size is this tank? Do you have a tape measure? It's easy to find out.

how can you tell the sex of an angel fish?

Almost impossible, unless they're breeding, in which case the females have a shorter, blunter breeding tube than the males.

All the other methods are unreliable, at best.

I got the tank from a friend and was told it was a 40 gallon tank? and after researching i found that DEFINITELY t isn't enough for a 2 full sized Angels so i don't know why he kept them
confused.gif
... Because i found this out In the last hour i have given the fish to a family friend with a very large tank who was more than happy to have them off my hands. 

I am going to buy a much smaller and more manageable tank for beginners and avoid the big fish for now. 

Thanks for the help even though it was short lived anyway haha.

And as for telling the sex i don't know, was just told they were both the same sex.

I personally would have thought after having the fish for nearly 2 years and giving them away because he "Had no space" i could have trusted what he said about them. But by the looks of things he didn't have a clue. Which is why i thought it was best to give them to someone who knew how to.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back