Can You Identify My Corys

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Tonyb111111

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Can you help me identify my corys, I think they are Melanistius, paleatus (long fin) & agazizii but need some confirmation. Also notice the red areas around the gills and head, is this normal as all water stats are spot on at 0,0,10
e553a9c2.jpg

372e5b83.jpg

4e41fcd8.jpg

I am guessing on this first one but it looks like a crossbreed of a Panda and a Spotfin.

I agree middle is Pepper Cory (Corydoras paleatus)

Last ones looks like a Spotfin Cory (Corydoras punctatus) but not really....i dunno.

First and last picture look like black spotted corydoras? Corydoras melanistius

Second one looks like a long finned peppered cory

I am guessing on this first one but it looks like a crossbreed of a Panda and a Spotfin.

I agree middle is Pepper Cory (Corydoras paleatus)

Last ones looks like a Spotfin Cory (Corydoras punctatus) but not really....i dunno.

Agree with the 2nd and 3rd pics. Your peppered cory seems to have seen some fin damage at some point, he looks pretty bedraggled. Unless there is a long-finned variety that I haven't seen? His fins just look a bit unusual to the norm :)

EDIT: Apologies, didn't read the original post properly :blush:

Also, I can't say for sure but I don't think the red areas are entirely normal. At least, they aren't present in mine.

Do they have any symptoms? Darting around erratically? or jerky at times?

Thanks all, still some uncertainty on the on the first and third but I believe the second is definitely a long finned peppered. The redness on the third pic is really odd, it is around the gill area and there is also a spot redness just before the dorsal fin if you look closely. All three of this type are the same and they all behave normally, furling around in the substrate, eat well and hang about in a group doing nothing sometimes. Will have to a bit more research

There are long fined peppered Cory cats and that is what you have. Pretty cool. The first one if driving me crazy because I know it but can't think of the name. I will find it.

The last on are sold in stores nder the name julli Cory cats . But the real name is something different.

There are long fined peppered Cory cats and that is what you have. Pretty cool. The first one if driving me crazy because I know it but can't think of the name. I will find it.

The last on are sold in stores nder the name julli Cory cats . But the real name is something different.
Are you thinking of trilineatus for the false juliis?

I don't think it's a trili though their black markings on the dorsal fin are a bit different.. it doesn't reach down to the body.

I think the first one is definitely a melanistius but the 3rd I don't think agassizi. I kind of want to say delphax.

Are you thinking of trilineatus for the false juliis?

I don't think it's a trili though their black markings on the dorsal fin are a bit different.. it doesn't reach down to the body.

I think the first one is definitely a melanistius but the 3rd I don't think agassizi. I kind of want to say delphax.

Ypur right the marking on the dorsal fin is off from the julli maybe false julli I have seen ones like this in shops labels as jullis but they are not. The agassizi is close but I don't think that's it.

Cores are hard there are so many that too so similar but are not the same. That's what make it fun trying to I'd them. where is the coryoligist ?

Due to the snout on the cory in the third picture i believe it to be Corydoras Leopardus which grows a little larger than Trilineatus or Julii. I could be wrong as they normally have a prominent line on the flank but some have a non-existent one but the snout looks that way.

These are my old Cory cats. I bought as Schwartz Cory.
P7240604.jpg

They looks kind of like yours but not the same.

The first one looks like a Corydoras sp. (Cw027)  Check out planetcatfish.com and see if you can find your fish. The last one has me stumped.

If they are wild caught then it could be really hard to find what they are. There are some Cory cats not yet cataloged or some that are the same but might look different in another isolated part of a river. This happens from time to time.

I hope one of the Cory experts can help you because I am stumped. Whatever they are a very nice find.

Great help guys, especially snowflake thanks for putting the effort in. Like you, I am stumped on the third, I thought it was agassizii as I can find pictures on the net that are identical, however there are also loads of pictures of agassizii that look nothing like them as well. There really are so any variations of corys, I have learnt a lot.
Regarding the redness, these are the only corys in my tank that display this, soi am wondering if it actually part of their make up now, rather than some problem.

Last one is definately NOT a trilineatus... unsure on what type though,there are so many spotted corys around...

The redness could possibly be a worry, you dont normally see corys with red patches, its usually a sign of a bacterial infection.

Most reactions

Back