Can you ID this Algae?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Barry Tetra

Fish Aficionado
Pet of the Month 🎖️
Reaction score
I found this in tank this morning, is it dangerous? Can I let pleco eat them?

Attachments

• 865A34B2-AAA5-4CD7-AF15-650A593BCD68.jpeg
    865A34B2-AAA5-4CD7-AF15-650A593BCD68.jpeg
    317.3 KB · Views: 106
  • 5F457DA8-EF95-44D8-9504-838D88C8D94D.jpeg
    5F457DA8-EF95-44D8-9504-838D88C8D94D.jpeg
    349.9 KB · Views: 128
I wouldn’t see how it would be dangerous. Can it easily come off? How many hours a day do you leave for light on for? What are your water parameters?

I wouldn’t see how it would be dangerous. Can it easily come off? How many hours a day do you leave for light on for? What are your water parameters?
Its float on water, 13 hours light on, my water parameters always be ammonia 0 nitrite 0 nitrate 7, I do 50% water changes every 3 days.

Weird. I would say, yes. It’s ok for your pleco to eat it. I suggest removing it though, so it doesn’t die and decay. :)

I agree with @Crispii , it does look like cyanobacteria. Is it slimy to the touch? I have never heard of any fish eating this.

Cyanobacteria is due to organics in the presence of light. The water becoming hazy green is unicellular algae reproducing and clouding the water greenish, though the cyano could tint it too. Caused by the same thing, high organics (nutrients) and light. The organics is the main issue, more than the light, so the only way to get rid of this is reducing organics.

You are changing water every three days so that will help. Vacuum as much of this out each time as you can. Clean well into the substrate to remove organics. Keep the filter well cleaned, also reducing organics (the brown gunk is organics). Do not over feed. Do not have too many fish or too large a fish for the tank. All of this increases organics.

Some will advise reducing light with blackouts but this is only a bandaid. If the underlying organics are not cleaned up it will come back.

I also have cyanobacteria and algae problems and I think it may be related to my water supply as I live in an agricultural area. Have you tested your source water for nitrates and phosphates?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back