Can you ID this algae

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to enter! šŸ†

Milos

Reaction score
Hey guys,

So got busy with the life and what not and for the last 1 1/2 months I didnā€™t do any maintenance on my tank. Been having this tank as such for 4 years with plants, rainbows and all the good stuff.

My wisteria took over the entire aquarium. So I did remove 80% of it, cleaned the glass and remove 50% of water, cleaned both of my canister filters. That is when I noticed some strange algae on my Anubias, water heaters, and intake pipe. Pretty much everything that is growing

Needles to say by doing all this my Ammonia got spiked so I am dealing with that trying to keep it under control and all that. Havenā€™t been feeding my fish the entire day. Will probably not feed them tomorrow as well until everything gets back to normal. But I have two questions for you who may help me.
1. Why do I have some small bibles on the top of the water that donā€™t go away? Yes I am using air pump for the last 7 years and I have never seen this before.
2. Can you ID this algae?

Also I should probably replace my T6 bulbs since I have 4 of them on my 55gal tank.

But yeah, there a number of things that went wrong, but until I get ammonia and Nitrate back in line I was wondering maybe you can help me with these two questions I have.

Thank you all ahead of the time.

Attachments

• BB796647-02E4-41CD-853D-D278BA1FCA91.jpeg
    BB796647-02E4-41CD-853D-D278BA1FCA91.jpeg
    436.2 KB · Views: 142
The algae is black beard/brush. It is caused by an imbalance of light/nutrients. Light means the intensity (too bright can cause it, and too little can cause it), duration and spectrum (plants need specific light to be able to out-compete algae, as algae can use any light. Nutrients means not only additives like fertilizers but natural from fish excrement and such. You realize this balance is way off.

If everything was fine prior to this last month or so, you need to re-establish that balance. Major water changes (including good substrate cleaning at each) now will help a lot, but just be careful...check the pH of tank water and tap water (out-gas the CO2 from the tap water before testing it)...if the tap water is above 7 and the tank water is below 7, any sudden change in the tank water to above 7 will turn what is now ammonium (harmless) into ammonia (toxic) and could kill the fish.

Thanks Byron for the reply,

on the touch it feels like regular leaf. I donā€™t see or feel any beard-like algae to me.

but yeh, you are correct. Entire surface was covered with wisteria so that explains the light deficiency.

I am at least able to bring the ammonia to acceptable levels and hopefully it wonā€™t take too long for everything to get back to normal.
The only problem is removing the algae from the plants itself. Should I use some bleach 5% bleach solution or just wait and eventually they will be gone once the balance is reestablished.

Thanks Byron for the reply,

on the touch it feels like regular leaf. I donā€™t see or feel any beard-like algae to me.

but yeh, you are correct. Entire surface was covered with wisteria so that explains the light deficiency.

I am at least able to bring the ammonia to acceptable levels and hopefully it wonā€™t take too long for everything to get back to normal.
The only problem is removing the algae from the plants itself. Should I use some bleach 5% bleach solution or just wait and eventually they will be gone once the balance is reestablished.

If this is a form of beard/brush algae (there are several types) it will not come off plant leaves so there is no point trying. However, try one leaf and if it does indeed all come off, then it may be something else.

Problem algae can only be dealt with in one way--restore (or establish) the balance of light/nutrients to benefit the plants and no more. Once you do that, the algae will no longer increase, and that is your goal. What is already there will usually die. Plant leaves heavily infected can be removed provided the plant is showing new growth and that new growth is free of this algae (that is the proof it is not increasing).

You are probably right. I have been removing 20% water every night and my ammonia is at zero. I have some nitrates in but wisteria is growing again so thatā€™s ok. Anubias as you know is super slow grower so I will monitor it and see the e progress.

thanks

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back