Can you help me identify these guys?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

MapDaddy

Reaction score
I inherited this tank and need to figure out what I have so I can add a few more. The poor middle child is getting his butt kicked and he needs some company to absorb some of the aggressions Spike is directing toward him. And yes... I do name my fish. People name their dogs and cats don't they?

Anyway, hopefully someone here can help me out. Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_20211020_184106.jpg
    IMG_20211020_184106.jpg
    196.2 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_20211020_184403.jpg
    IMG_20211020_184403.jpg
    202.9 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_20211020_184043.jpg
    IMG_20211020_184043.jpg
    210.7 KB · Views: 73
They look like Jewel Cichlids, mean little fish. Give them something bigger than they are to play with. Look at the back and right of this photo and you will see a couple.
056.JPG

Picture on left is a jewel cichlid, grows about 6 inches and pretty mean

Picture in middle and right look like Jack Dempsey cichlids, grow to 10-12 inches and real mean.

Depending on tank size, I probably wouldn't add anything and I would remove the fish being bashed. Normally Jack Dempsey cichlids end up on their own because they kill everyone else in the tank. The jewel cichlid can probably hold its own with one Jack Dempsey but a breeding pr would kill it.

If you want peaceful community fish, get rid of those 3, find out the pH, GH and KH of the water supply and then choose something else that is more peaceful.

I agree with Colin two jack dempseys and a jewel, all potential nightmares but can be managed in the right set up.

Worth saying that while the jewel is African it’s not a rift lake cichlid like Malawi’s etc it comes from softer water in west Africa and the Jack’s are from Central America. So if you are wanting an African cichlid tank is regime these three and start again with a bit of research and asking some questions here 😁

Wills

They look like Jewel Cichlids, mean little fish. Give them something bigger than they are to play with. Look at the back and right of this photo and you will see a couple.View attachment 146233
I think you're right. Two of them look very much like your guy on the right an mine are definitely showing their attitude. Now I know what I'm working with. Thanks for the help!

I agree with Colin two jack dempseys and a jewel, all potential nightmares but can be managed in the right set up.

Worth saying that while the jewel is African it’s not a rift lake cichlid like Malawi’s etc it comes from softer water in west Africa and the Jack’s are from Central America. So if you are wanting an African cichlid tank is regime these three and start again with a bit of research and asking some questions here 😁

Wills
Exactly what I planned to do. I already read a couple of articles and sexing them might be challenging. I also want to add more cover and hiding places before I start adding any more critters. Thanks!

Exactly what I planned to do. I already read a couple of articles and sexing them might be challenging. I also want to add more cover and hiding places before I start adding any more critters. Thanks!
Male jack dempsey have pointed anal and dorsal fins, where as females have rounded tips
Males generally have blue markings directly behind their eyes whereas females have this along their lower jaw.

I inherited this tank and need to figure out what I have so I can add a few more. The poor middle child is getting his butt kicked and he needs some company to absorb some of the aggressions Spike is directing toward him. And yes... I do name my fish. People name their dogs and cats don't they?

Anyway, hopefully someone here can help me out. Thanks
"Poor Middle Child"?
Another name, please, or you will give he or she a complex!
😕😉😄

I actually did renamed him to "Flash" because of his counterattack display. 😡

He's safe in a 10 gallon tank for now. I'm looking for a more suitable tank for him and maybe a compatible tank mate or two. .

I actually did renamed him to "Flash" because of his counterattack display. 😡

He's safe in a 10 gallon tank for now. I'm looking for a more suitable tank for him and maybe a compatible tank mate or two. .
So what's up ?
Haven't looked at all the forums today but it looks like you need some help figuring out a suitable tank and compatible tank mates.
🧐
Have you posted a thread?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back