Can you help me identify the thing on the rocks?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Feline

Fish Herder
Reaction score
I hope I can be allowed to repost this thread here as I've just post a thread in the "member aquarium picture" section.

To keep it short, I've noticed today that the brownish spots on the rocks have grown into a whole layer covering my red stone! :crazy: Another picture is a brownish patch on the blue agate.
Is that fungus or algae?

post-22-1054962070.jpg

post-22-1054962236.jpg

Hello Feline,

Looks to me like you have small case of brown algae. Brown algae is actually seen less frequently in aquariums for it flourishes in low light environments. A small amount of algae is normal in tanks, and is actually quite beneficial, as it reduces nitrate. But if your like me, can't stand the sight of it. However, if algae runs rampant in your tank, this usually indicates an inbalance and poor water quality (usually high nitrate, and phosphate). It makes a wonderful warning sign.

My suggestion would be to try increasing your light. Check your temperature as well, depending on the type of fish (I'm assuming you know the minimum temperature requirements) lower your temperature to below 78 F gradually over the next few days. I would try to get it down to around 76 F but then again, depending on the fish. Also make sure you are not overfeeding, as this raises the organic load, therefore increases nitrate, therefore providing more nutrition for the algae.

And please resist the urge to try a commercial algicide. Trust me. Although it may provide you a quick easy fix, it does not solve the problem. Once you stop dumping in the chemicals, it will come back, and worse. And continuous exposure to the chemicals can be detrimental to your fishes health.

Mogo

Ye same thnig happened to me in my cold water tank. i cleaned out the tank and a day later the brown stuff was growing i think its algae :thumbs:

Ho thanks, Mogo!! Yup, the temperature is high in the tank for the past 2 weeks (bcoz of the whitespots so I've to raise the temperature)... it was 82F but now I've turned it down to 80F and will turn it further down to 77F in a day or two coz that's my minimum for my Clowns.

I usually turn the lights on for 12 hours, so should I increase it to 14 hours? er... will my fish eat those algae?

Hey there,

I would suggest getting a better bulb, this is under the assumption that you are using a tube, one that provides a stronger broader light spectrum. If you are using an incandescent bulb, I would suggest you probably switch to flourescent, as the incandescent bulbs will actually increase your water temp, especially if they are left on for 12 hours a day on a smaller tank.

Mogo

i just saw 2day in the pet shop this stuff to stop that happening it described it excatly on the back of the box same thing that u have so i bought some for myself cause the smae happens to me too and fingers crossed...... :thumbs:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back