FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
IMG_0308 (2).JPG
IMG_0348.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0392.JPG
    IMG_0392.JPG
    278.1 KB · Views: 97
The issue is not size, at least not immediately, but numbers. I am assuming from your posts that you may not be aware of the shoaling issue, so I will explain as best as I can.

Freshwater fish that are a shoaling species must be in a group from day one. This has consequences, and depending upon the species these may be severe. This shoaling need is programmed into the fish's DNA, and it applies to all characins (tetras, pencilfish, hatchetfish), rainbowfish, cyprinids (barbs, rasboras, danios, loaches), some catfish (Corydoras for one). Some species just need the safety of having the shoal, while others may have hierarchical issues. When shoaling fish are denied a group, it has severe consequences which may not even be noticed for weeks, but this is causing stress which slowly weakens the fish. Down the road, they are more likely to succumb to health problems, aggression (or the opposite), and always will have a premature death long before the normal lifespan. Please read the blue and (especially) green statements in my signature block, they are relevant here.

Loaches are highly social fish; in their habitat they live in groups and they develop an hierarchy within that group. Scientific understanding has determined that five is the minimum for loach groups. When two, three or usually four of the species are together, the hierarchy does not develop the way it should (with more) and while this may not seem problematic it can quickly become so. The fish usually find one to bully when there are too few to supply an adequate shoal, and this can go unnoticed until the fish becomes withdrawn and dies. It is quite simply cruel to the fish to deny them what they "expect."
Hope you don't mind me jumping in with some questions. I have 5 "fake" julien cory catfish, 5 panda cory catfish, 2 golden dojos (soon to be 3), 2 hillstream loaches along with a massive goldfish. Have had them together for months in my 55 gl. I obviously grilled the fish store owners but only after doing much research. I chose these species due to wanting to keep fish that thrive better in cooler temps. All the fish store experts and all the research warned against goldfish only. Amazingly have a uniquely peaceful goldfish that doesn't bother any of the small fish species. Tried with tetras, neon, and guppies for 6 weeks before getting the copies and hillstream. The bigger hillstream gets spooked easy when any if the fish swim real close. Doesn't bother the small young one. Other than that I don't ever observe any negative behaviors and I watched for that intently. They all seem very healthy with no indication stress whatsoever. Not sure what I'm missing?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back