Can you crossbreed a platy and molly???

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Kayla Silver

Reaction score
Yesterday I bought a male Molly and I already have platies so I was wondering if it was possible if A male Molly and female platy could cross breed..... They are really simular ....... So can they? :unsure: :dunno: ????

as far as i've heard then can. people on here have said that guppies and swordtails can't cross breed but they can. so i guess your gonna have to wait and see what happens

So no one here has ever successfully cross bred a platy and molly? I hope I can but don't know if I will be able to because I do have a male platy that has been the daddy to all my platy fry so I hope they will look alot like the male molly.

they can breed but the babies are never ever alive once they are born thats why you never see any pics sorry

???? They will be born dead?? Why is that?? I don't understand why that is?? ????

its like cats and dogs breeding they might mate but their young will never survice because of the shape and size difference same as with platys and mollies they are just not able to carry til birth

ruffmeister said:
its like cats and dogs breeding they might mate but their young will never survice because of the shape and size difference same as with platys and mollies they are just not able to carry til birth
I'm sorry, but that is the most ridiculous statement I've ever seen.

cats and dogs will never, ever mate - they are completely different species.
even if they would mate, they wouldn't produce dead young, fertilisation would not occur.

It's nothing to do with shape and size difference, it's to do with genetic difference.
Different sized animals can interbreed with no problem as long as they are similar enough genetically - e.g. large horse x pony, great dane x chihuahua (ok that one isn't likely but it is theoretically possible)

platies and mollies are genetically similar species - they will mate, and fertilisation may occur.
however they are not close enough related to produce viable young (I'm not familiar with the technical genetics of these two fish - it may be possible for them to produce live young, but very unlikely, and the young would most likely be infertile if they did live).

fraservet said:
platies and mollies are genetically similar species - they will mate, and fertilisation may occur.
however they are not close enough related to produce viable young (I'm not familiar with the technical genetics of these two fish - it may be possible for them to produce live young, but very unlikely, and the young would most likely be infertile if they did live).
actually that is wrong as well. platties can only crossbreed wil swordtails. mollies can only breed with in the Poecilia family. So fish like Guppies and Limas. But not with guppies.

gezzzz, man who u believe on this....I don't know what to think now

me, i got my info from a live bearer expert that writes for a magazine. AFM

ok, I'm sure you're right - for the bit you quoted, I was just going from an earlier post in this thread that they breed but the young don't get to full term.

the points I was trying to make were that cats and dogs can't mate, and that the reason platies and mollies can't interbreed is because they are too different genetically - not because of size and shape.

well they would never mate because of the diffrence in familys.

wrs said:
fraservet said:
actually that is wrong as well. platties can only crossbreed wil swordtails. mollies can only breed with in the Poecilia family. So fish like Guppies and Limas. But not with guppies.
no as a matter of fact swords are very uniuqe as a live bearer mollies and platys are very similar and CAN breed.......... i have sen a picture but i dont remember who posted it ....... a molly and platty are less alike but still about as alike as a endler and guppy but my theory is have been evolved much longer (apart)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back