Can you clean the fertiliser from a plant?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

So your water supply contains chloramine. Your dechlorinator will split this into chlorine and ammonia then remove the chlorine. Depending on exactly which brand you use, it may or may not also contain something to detoxify the ammonia part.

As has been said before, plants could well be treated with a chemical to kill snails.
Several years ago, one species of apple snail was found in a river in Spain, so the EU, operating a one size fits all policy, banned the import and spreading of all apple snails in every EU country. They were also intending to ban the import of plants from any country where they could have been contaminated with apple snails but finally passed legislation that imports of plants would be allowed provided they were treated with a snail killer. This basically means that any plant imported from any country outside the EU has to be treated. These snail killing chemicals don't seem to affect MTS or any of the 'pest' snails though, but they do also kill shrimps.
The way to deal with such plants is to quarantine them, do lots of water changes and run a carbon containing filter in the quarantine tank.
I doubt whether any chemical residue on the snails is enough to kill shrimps, though the slight possibility does exist.

When I first got my cherry shrimps, they all died. The second batch all died as well. But before the last one died, a shrimp expert helped me, and told me why they were dying. The last one was a berried female; I put her in my quarantine tank where she died, but not until after the eggs hatched. All the baby shrimps survived and formed the basis of my shrimps colony.
All the dead shrimps had a white line across their backs which indicated to the shrimp expert what the problem was. This is why I asked what your shrimps were like, in case it may the same cause.

That is hard water, very similar to mine. Amano shrimp will be fine in it. Chloramine is dealt with by most dechlorinators (check the label), so there is no reason not to use your tap water. You are limited in what fish you can keep but amanos are just fine.

well i don't know if i want more shrimp if this dies. To answe the question though they turned red in their chest when they died.

I had a snake once, started off the size of a pencil, ended up four feet long and as thick as your thumb.

All shrimps turn pink once they have died. They look like a cooked shrimp that you eat.

I have just realised that I haven't mentioned that virtually all amano shrimps are wild caught which means that, like wild caught fish, are less forving of water parameters and conditions different from where they were caught.

Cherry shrimps are the easiest shrimps, with red ones being less sensitive than the other colours. If you lose these amanos, you could try cherries instead - and unlike amanos they can breed in our tanks.

Cherry shrimps are the easiest shrimps, with red ones being less sensitive than the other colours. If you lose these amanos, you could try cherries instead - and unlike amanos they can breed in our tanks.

thanks for the tip, but they need warm water dont they?

Cherry shrimps need the same temperature as most tropical fish - as do amanos. What temperature have you been keeping yours at?

room temperature, its about21-22 degrees here. pet store was happy for it going into cold water aquarium. they gave them to me warm and said it would take two hours of acclimation.

Amanos are OK at that temperature but it is warm weather at the moment. In winter if the room the tank is in falls below that they would need a heater. Even a room that's heated during the day can get quite cold at night in winter.
Depending which site you read, amanos need 21 to 26 deg C, or around 24 deg, or 19 to 23 deg, or 18 to 27 deg..

Don't forget that most pet store workers haven't a clue and will say anything.

well i was worried about the winter, do these things come from tropical oceans then?

The true amano comes from Japan, Taiwan and other islands in the Pacific, so not topical but warmer than the UK. But there are similar shrimps found in other places, and shrimps sold as amanos are not necessarily actually amanos.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back