Can water sprite grow in soil outside a tank?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

So far as I understand it, no, this is a true aquatic plant. Many of our aquarium plants are amphibious or bog plants (the common swords, crypts, several others) and can grow submersed or emersed (though not in all cases). Ceratopteis is recognized as an aquatic genus.

Formerly there were five species recognized [some authorities only recognized four] in the genus Ceratopteris that was placed in the monogeneric family Parkeriaceae, thought to be unique because of its aquatic adaptations. Subsequent genetic analysis has shown the Ceratopteris species to be clearly allied with those in the genus Acrostichum, and Ceratopteridaceae is the family name for the clade that is now known to include these two genera. However, some authorities place these two genera within the Pteridaceae family.

No, as above water sprite is an aquatic plant. But if it is in very shallow water, it will keep producing leaves above the water line.

This is what happens when water sprite is grown out of water(i had to try it):
IMG_5154.JPG

I guess it will just keep getting browner and browner till it dies?

If you want to try and grow it out of water, fill the container with water so the leaves are wet. Then let it grow leaves above the surface. When the plant has a decent set of leaves above the water, you can drop the level down a bit but the roots must remain wet.

If you want to try and grow it out of water, fill the container with water so the leaves are wet. Then let it grow leaves above the surface. When the plant has a decent set of leaves above the water, you can drop the level down a bit but the roots must remain wet.
ill try that thanks!

Most reactions

Back