can u use sand rather than gravel

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

j_n_c

Reaction score
hi everyone! just wondered if you know if u can use sand in a tropical tank where i will be using real plants rather than using gravel??

thanks for your help!

Yes, we have sand in all our tanks which also have live plants and the plant thrive.

The best sand to use is something heavy like play sand or pool filter sand.

Do NOT use builder's sand as it has toxic additives and remeber to wash it well first.

Silver sand works fantastically and is extremely cheap.

I personally think sand looks better and most bottom dwelling fish (cories, plecos etc) appreciate it more. Just don't get aquarium sand. That stuff costs a bomb!

thanks alot! i just found that article on the general chit chat forum, very helpful.

thanks

j_n_c said:
hi everyone! just wondered if you know if u can use sand in a tropical tank where i will be using real plants rather than using gravel??

thanks for your help!
Yes it's fine, I mixed flourite and black sand together and it looks really good and works good :)

Homebase has play pit sand @ £2.19 for 25Kg, I did 5 tanks with it and still have some left. Only downside was that it needed a very thorough cleaning, took a lot longer than stuff I have bought from the LFS in the past, but worth the extra work.

Jon

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back