Can u breed Bettas without a heater?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

wer34

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
i was just wondering if its possible to breed bettas in a tank without a heater, the water temp stays around 74 degrees, so would this be ok?

Nick

I wouldn't think so, but why would you want to?

well i figured if they can live without a heater and thrive y wouldnt fry be able to?

You could live in a room that's 60 degrees, but why would ya want to?

:p

Also, bettas don't really "thrive" in 74 degrees. They really like it to be in the upper 70's (as in 78 - 80).

Yep, and I bet if you crank up the heat to about 80*...you'd see a big difference in your Betta's demeanor and character.

Baby fish most like any other baby animal.....require higher temperatures then adults anyways. :unsure:

:book: Turns back a few pages...yep I see a relapse about to happen lol.

wer34 said:
i was just wondering if its possible to breed bettas in a tank without a heater, the water temp stays around 74 degrees, so would this be ok?

Nick
Hi Nick. Go try it and then tell us if the eggs going to hatch or not. :D

hey, i turned the heat up to 75 on my heather but it always heats a little higher than it says, the temp is actually bout 78, and i have noticed quite a differnece, im leaving the female in a clear container overnight so the male can see her and build his bubble nest bigger. tomorrow after i get home from school im going to let the famle out and see what happens, i'll keep a close eye and keep you updated. also is it ok that i dont have a filter in the tank as of right now, i was going to take and established corner filter in after i get the fry hatched and feeding. should i use something like mehtalyn blue or maroxy to make sure fungus does not grow on eggs?

Nick

No offence, but you really should think about doing more research before you go through with breeding. It's a lot of work and if you are not fully prepared your spawn will not be very successful. If you havn't yet (judging by your questions you havn't), read through the pinned article about breeding bettas. You should find most of the info you need there.

Have you conditioned your fish? Do you have cultures ready for the fry? Do you have a growout tank and 100+ jars? Do you have a plan for the fry when they are grown? Do you have an income source that can feed high quality food tosupport growing babies? Do you have time to do water changes on all your jars, growout, plus adults?

If you don't want to buy a heater (be it financial or convience) then I would personally choose another fish to breed -_-

I think a heater would be cheaper to buy as apposed to buying 200+ mini hats, mittens and scarfs for all of your fry. :p

You need to do some more research; you should not only not be breeding fry without a heater, you shouldn't even have bettas without a heater. Also, as everyone mentioned, have you read up on it? Do you realize how many babies you'll have if you suceed? Do you have tanks for all these offspring? Can you afford special foods, medications, etc. for the growing fry? Where/how do you plan on selling all of them? Plus about a billion other questions. I'm finding that with any species - dogs, cats, rabbits, and yes, fish, "backyard breeding" is causing a lot of unnecesarry death and suffering to the animals involved; breeding should be left to the professionals, not any person who can throw a male and a female together.

What kind of bettas do you have anyways? Because if they are VTs, they aren't going to be easy to sell seeing how mass-produced they are right now.

I know next to nothing about breeding, and I NEVER intend to start.... BUT I have a couple comments....

First, on the "female is out of the tank right now - i'll throw her in tomorrow" thing. If she's in a container that's not heated, and you're going to throw her into a tank that's 78 degrees, you're definitely asking for trouble - they need to be transferred between identical water temps or they'll go into shock. You should just enjoy your bettas the way they are.

PLEASE do not breed bettas until you're more experienced and have homes for the babes once they come AND really have researched it.

I went to the petstore last night and rescued YET ANOTHER poor lost soul who ended up in one of those little death trap plastic cups, probably tossed around and beaten up in his route to the dirty little shelf where he spent god knows how long waiting for me to come and get him.

WHY ON EARTH would you want to breed these guys yourself - because obviously you are NOT in this for the same reason the pros are - they breed beautiful fish for people who want them, and they're in demand. The kind of guys who are at my house right now are perfectly happy with life now, and (thankfully) are completely oblivious to the fact that someone, somewhere, bred them STRICTLY to make money and didn't give two craps about their wellbeing. They've had a very bumpy ride in life this far, and I am VERY proud that I can help a few souls live a long, happy and healthy life - even though there are hundreds of thousands of little fishes in the world that end up being a casualty of someone's new "hobby".

WHEW.

You don't need a heater in the tank if you turn up the heater in the house for 84 degree F. :lol:

I have experimented with breeding and raising fry without a heater, and here is my results. I still recommend if you are not a serious breeder, not to try different methods or skip out on buying a heater to save money.

I had a successful spawning of my super red plakats and the tank was at around 74-76 deg, which is normally the temp of the water in the room. I had a spawn in less than 24 hours, and several hundred fry. Fry are about 9 days now, and going good. I think they do thrive better and grow faster in the warmer temps though, but it can be done with success. It isn't necessary to have one, and normally bettas that have been properly conditioned will spawn in water the regular temp they are used to.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back