Can These Fish Survive A Cycle?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

ythao01

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
i just started a new 20 gallon fish tank and learned about the cycle thing. I haven't bought any fish yet but I have looked at a few. I let the tank run for about and week now, but got a little bit impatient and thought hey, how about I just buy some fish that would be able to survive the cycle and that way I don't just have an empty tank. so I researched a few fishes and here they are "platys, dwarf gourami, julii Cory's, Pygmy Cory's, and celestial pearl danios". I know platys could survive the cycle but what about the others? I also know that I shouldn't put in too many at a time so I would just get one spices at a time.

Read the link in my signature, it is much better (and more humane) to do a fishless cycle.
While your tank is cycling you can begin planning on what you are going to stock your tank with. It may be a bit of a wait, but trust me, it is worth it in the end!

Why anyone would want to inflict a fish in cycle on the fish amazes me, especially as presumably you have some interest in fish.

I would NEVER do a fishless cycle ever again.... Not good... REALLY not good

Francesjane said:

Whats your reason for this? I've only ever read good things about fishless cycling...

Just an FYI- none of the fish you listed are ones that should be used for a fish in cycle. That fact alone should convince you that you need to go fishless.

Whats your reason for this? I've only ever read good things about fishless cycling...

My first attempt to fishless cycle went terribly wrong, I couldn't get it to start for four months and I had no idea what I was doing wrong at the time. Eventually I got through it, with help from people on this forum and I always look at my tank with pride knowing that I persevered to provide a safe environment for my fish and they never suffered any pain because of me. I also learned so much through the process and have used that understanding to successfully fishless cycle three more filters since.

In short - my recommendation is fishless cycle all the way, no matter how long you have to look at an empty tank. It's well worth it in the end.

Correcting my mistake... I meant I would never do a FISH-IN cycle again... Sorry for the confusion

hmm, I'm guessing it's really stressful for the fish, but could I add live plants at least? or is it too stressful for plants also?

It's not just 'stressful' for the fish; it can easily kill them, or lead to long term health problems for them.

You're fine to add plants though; the fishless cycle is great for getting your aquascape right (I spend weeks tweaking everything when I set up new tanks 
blush.png
 ) and gives your plants time to root in and fill out before the fish go in.

fluttermoth said:
It's not just 'stressful' for the fish; it can easily kill them, or lead to long term health problems for them.

You're fine to add plants though; the fishless cycle is great for getting your aquascape right (I spend weeks tweaking everything when I set up new tanks :blush: ) and gives your plants time to root in and fill out before the fish go in.
great, I'll probably go buy some plants tomorrow then. I almost forgot how picky I am with the decor of my tank.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back