Can these Bettas breed

Callisto405

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Are these 2 bettas the same type. If they are or are not can they still breed?

Attachments

• 16188824289045272380559396090798.jpg
    16188824289045272380559396090798.jpg
    160.7 KB · Views: 68
  • 16188824471961014242986895279697.jpg
    16188824471961014242986895279697.jpg
    139.6 KB · Views: 64
@PheonixKingZ wrote a very educational report on betta breeding behaviours, perhaps will also share a link. I don't advise breeding fish until you're ready and aware of the commitment you're making. Definitely do your best to research first they're pretty fish. Your male looks like a veiltail and your female maybe a delta, the tail is based on the spread degree, so when she flares it you'll be able to tell a bit easier?

If they are both Betta splendens, they can interbreed. It doesn't matter what the tail type is, or the colour.

Do you have 3 tanks - one for the male, one for the female and one for breeding/raising the fry?
Do you have the means to separate every single male fry - and heat all the tanks/jars - once they start to fight?
Do you have somewhere that will take all the offspring once they reach a saleable size?

If they are both Betta splendens, they can interbreed. It doesn't matter what the tail type is, or the colour.

Do you have 3 tanks - one for the male, one for the female and one for breeding/raising the fry?
Do you have the means to separate every single male fry - and heat all the tanks/jars - once they start to fight?
Do you have somewhere that will take all the offspring once they reach a saleable size?
yes, yes, yes and yes

That's good.
We've had so many people over the years who haven't realised what's involved so we do need to check.

@PheonixKingZ wrote a very educational report on betta breeding behaviours, perhaps will also share a link. I don't advise breeding fish until you're ready and aware of the commitment you're making. Definitely do your best to research first they're pretty fish. Your male looks like a veiltail and your female maybe a delta, the tail is based on the spread degree, so when she flares it you'll be able to tell a bit easier?
I am definitely not an expert, and have never actually bred, but I have done research on it. Here is my paper: https://www.fishforums.net/threads/betta-research-paper.465208/ (look under “Breeding/Reproduction”)

I would turn to @EllRog for real life breeding advice, but he hasn’t been on for some time. :/

Technically, all betta species can breed with another. So, even if one is not a betta splendens. But the only the individual behavior can be an obstacle to establish a mating. For not all betta species have the same behavior.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back