Can the sides of a tank overhang the stand?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

OliveFish05

Fish Aficionado
Tank of the Month 🏆
Reaction score
What would happen if the sides of the aquarium overhung the sides of the stand by about 3 inches on each side? Would it be a potential problem? Would a piece of plywood prevent this from causing trouble? How thick would the plywood need to be?

What would happen if the sides of the aquarium overhung the sides of the stand by about 3 inches on each side? Would it be a potential problem? Would a piece of plywood prevent this from causing trouble? How thick would the plywood need to be?

The entire tank frame must be supported by something solid; water is very heavy, and if the frame is not fully supported, any even slight jar could cause the tank to crack, or leak from the silicone breaking.

A sheet of plywood is ideal. It needs to be thick enough that it will not bend under the weight. If the tank is 3 inches over the stand, I would use at least a 1-inch thick piece of plywood; this should extend beyond the tank frame on all sides to be certain it is going to hold. Wood is preferable to metal as the tank will slightly settle into the wood.

I had to do this with my 40g tank after I bought a new stand; though intended for this size take (dimensions), for some reason the stand was about 1/4 inch too short, so I got a piece of plywood.

The entire tank frame must be supported by something solid; water is very heavy, and if the frame is not fully supported, any even slight jar could cause the tank to crack, or leak from the silicone breaking.

A sheet of plywood is ideal. It needs to be thick enough that it will not bend under the weight. If the tank is 3 inches over the stand, I would use at least a 1-inch thick piece of plywood; this should extend beyond the tank frame on all sides to be certain it is going to hold. Wood is preferable to metal as the tank will slightly settle into the wood.

I had to do this with my 40g tank after I bought a new stand; though intended for this size take (dimensions), for some reason the stand was about 1/4 inch too short, so I got a piece of plywood.
Ok! So the plywood would need to extend past the dimensions of the tank on all sides, even if the front and back of the tank‘s frame rest on the stand? How far should the plywood extend?

Ok! So the plywood would need to extend past the dimensions of the tank on all sides, even if the front and back of the tank‘s frame rest on the stand? How far should the plywood extend?

Yes. I have mine about one inch on all four sides just to be certain.

Yes. I have mine about one inch on all four sides just to be certain.
ok, thank you!

I am just looking into my possible choices for my axolotl tank (they are legal here on August 1st, and I‘m trying to figure out if I have the ability to get one) I am hoping to do a 40 breeder size tank, but only half ish full as I’m doing a paludarium. (Rocks along the back wall and a little bit of the sides. I was thinking about doing a 20 long but dont think it would give the axolotl room if I did rocks along the back) so I’m not sure if that makes any difference to the thickness or anything?

Im looking online at plywood and not seeing any 1 inch. I think we have some 1/2 inch or 1/4th inch thick plywood in our garage, would stacking two to four layers of this be sufficient, to bring it to one inch thickness? Would using wood glue to connect them have any added benefit?

Last edited:
ok, thank you!

I am just looking into my possible choices for my axolotl tank (they are legal here on August 1st, and I‘m trying to figure out if I have the ability to get one) I am hoping to do a 40 breeder size tank, but only half ish full as I’m doing a paludarium. (Rocks along the back wall and a little bit of the sides. I was thinking about doing a 20 long but dont think it would give the axolotl room if I did rocks along the back) so I’m not sure if that makes any difference to the thickness or anything?

Im looking online at plywood and not seeing any 1 inch. I think we have some 1/2 inch or 1/4th inch thick plywood in our garage, would stacking two to four layers of this be sufficient, to bring it to one inch thickness? Would using wood glue to connect them have any added benefit?

I would "plan ahead" as once the tank is set up, you do not want to have to tear it down to reinforce the stand. Rocks are heavy too. And the tank itself...I was glad of a helper when I moved mine.

I would assume two 1/2 inch would work (unless one of our carpenter members corrects this)--can you get a 3/4 inch? Just checked and this is what I actually got, I was going from memory previously. But now that I think of it, a 1/2 inch would likely work too, since you do have the stand and the plywood is not actually supporting the weight, just distributing it evenly.

I would "plan ahead" as once the tank is set up, you do not want to have to tear it down to reinforce the stand. Rocks are heavy too. And the tank itself...I was glad of a helper when I moved mine.

I would assume two 1/2 inch would work (unless one of our carpenter members corrects this)--can you get a 3/4 inch? Just checked and this is what I actually got, I was going from memory previously. But now that I think of it, a 1/2 inch would likely work too, since you do have the stand and the plywood is not actually supporting the weight, just distributing it evenly.
Ok! I know we have plywood, and the prices have gone up insanely lately for wood, so I will use what I have and make it at least 3/4 inch thick! I am trying to get an idea of what’s safe and not for the tank, before I see if it looks nice and all. If it isn’t an option (my mom may not want the tank overhanging the stand, she may say it looks weird) then I will stick with my 20 long and skip the rocks in the back and just do plants. Thank you for your help!

As Byron said, yes, it will be a problem. The plywood is a good idea. However, good luck getting a good sheet - the wood prices are INSANE these days.

Edit: I just saw that you JUST said this. ^ :lol:

My mom does not like the idea of the tank overhanging the stand, she says it doesnt sound as secure as she would like it to be. I don’t want to nag, but is there a good way for me to explain to her that is is in fact safe, if you take the proper precautions (the plywood, I mean) in the end I will of course do as she asks and if she doesn’t want the tank to overhang the sides then it won’t

Maybe try to find another stand?

I understand her concern. That is quite a bit of water balancing on the stand.

Maybe try to find another stand?

I understand her concern. That is quite a bit of water balancing on the stand.
Yeah so do I. I am looking into other stands, to see if one would work. I feel bad though because we would probably have a harder time selling this one, because the top is water damaged :S

Ther actual stand itself has not been discussed here, and that is obviously a significant factor. It may not be capable of supporting the weight of a 40g tank. There is no way I would know whether it is or isn't.

Ther actual stand itself has not been discussed here, and that is obviously a significant factor. It may not be capable of supporting the weight of a 40g tank. There is no way I would know whether it is or isn't.
The stand‘s ability to hold the weight is not her concern, she’s afraid of strain being out on the silicone and causing a leak. I am looking into my options for a new stand!

The stand‘s ability to hold the weight is not her concern, she’s afraid of strain being out on the silicone and causing a leak. I am looking into my options for a new stand!

I understand this, but the two factors are connected. If the stand itself cannot hold this much weight, it may collapse.

I have a large fireplace, currently holding a soon-to-be redundant gas fire.
I intend to put a big tank in there, but there re no stands low enough for me to do that...so I'm likely going to have to build my own.
I'll be talking about big chunks of wood, to bear the weight of the tank.

Perhaps this could be an option for you, or maybe even find a professional to do it for you.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back