Can Stingrays "stunt" Themselves Like Fish Can?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Goggy

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Fish can stunt themselves to grow to a certain size to fit in the tank, however its organs keep growing it is painfull so i wanna know if stingrays can stunt themselves. I plan too keep a Black diamond ray the size of a cup holder in a 15 gallon tank until it grows big and i will put it in my pond. I dont want to torture the ray so i wanna know if rays can stunt themselves thanks!

All fish can be stunted. Even rays. Keeping them in a fifteen gallon even for a short period of time is a very bad idea because it is very likely that it will stunt before it "grows big." You'll need to have a much more suitable grow out tank. Or you could always just put the ray in the pond. If you get a larger grow out, I've seen these guys in 300-500 gallon aquariums, so you'll need something a little smaller than that.

Not that its a huge deal, but the phrase 'stunt themselves' is an incorrect characterization.  The environment they are kept in is what stunts the animals, not something they 'choose' to do, which is what the quoted phrase implies.  Ultimately, the key with ALL animals is:  Keep them in a proper environment throughout their entire lifespan and they will live to their full life expectancy.  Keep them in inferior confines and problems will arise.

As above really, if you want to grow it out, get something like a 4x2x2 so its got the space to grow properly. A 15g is not going to produce the results you want.

Wills

Darn i think i will have to put it in my pond thanks for the help guys

Well a 15gal is way way to small and will not stunt the Ray it will kill it

Rays need a large water volume not just to grow but to like

If you only have 15gal the water would be polluted within 12 hours not something you should be doing to a £1000 fish

You shouldn't buy a Ray for anything less than 200 gal as they grow very fast even if you get the size Ray you are talking about it will outgrow a 200 gal in about 1 year

Most Rays can grow to the size of a car wheel with tyre some even bigger

Can you show pictures of your pond as it will be interesting to see

T1KARMANN said:
Well a 15gal is way way to small and will not stunt the Ray it will kill it

Rays need a large water volume not just to grow but to like

If you only have 15gal the water would be polluted within 12 hours not something you should be doing to a £1000 fish

You shouldn't buy a Ray for anything less than 200 gal as they grow very fast even if you get the size Ray you are talking about it will outgrow a 200 gal in about 1 year

Most Rays can grow to the size of a car wheel with tyre some even bigger

Can you show pictures of your pond as it will be interesting to see
Wow your a pro at this arent ya well, i dont know how to post pics that are too large for the posting engine ill go learn how to first

You should be able to resize the pictures on photobucket :)

I do feel sorry for a lot of pond owners as they always seam to have problems posting pics lol

They need some SCUBA gear and an underwater camera, or at least a snorkle. :lol:

eaglesaquarium said:
They need some SCUBA gear and an underwater camera, or at least a snorkle.
laugh.png
heh

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back