Can someone tell me whats wrong with my mysterysnail?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

New123

Reaction score
Hi, I'm new to hobby and two days ago I noticed my mystery snail acting quite odd, and yesterday It stopped moving. To check if it was dead I took it out of the water and waited 10mins to see if it moved and it did, so I placed it back in the tank but this morning I found it upside down and it has a weird hair like growth from inside the cell. Im assuming I was wrong and its dead or infected, I've moved him out of the tank to keep the rest of the fish safe.
I'm not quite sure what I should do now (with my tank or the snail), can anyone point me in the right direction?
Here's a photo
20210821_142721.jpg

I think he is dead, Are the other fish acting normally if so just do a good water change and monitor the tank.

I think he is dead, Are the other fish acting normally if so just do a good water change and monitor the tank.
Yeah I thought so, everyone else is fine. I've done some tests and a water change everything seems to be in order.
Thanks for your reply!

It has Saprolegnia fungus on it (the fine white hairs growing out of the snail). This type of fungus gets into open wounds/ damaged tissue and can be treated with salt (1-2 heaped tablespoons of rock salt for every 20 litres (5 gallons) of tank water. Keep salt in tank for 2 weeks.

If you gently pull on the snails operculum (trap door) and the snail no longer tries to keep it closed, the snail is dead and should be removed.

Do a 75% water change and gravel clean the substrate every day for a week if you ever lose a fish, snail or shrimp in the aquarium. This dilutes any disease organisms in the water and reduces the chance of the other inhabitants catching anything.
Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it's added to the tank.

It has Saprolegnia fungus on it (the fine white hairs growing out of the snail). This type of fungus gets into open wounds/ damaged tissue and can be treated with salt (1-2 heaped tablespoons of rock salt for every 20 litres (5 gallons) of tank water. Keep salt in tank for 2 weeks.

If you gently pull on the snails operculum (trap door) and the snail no longer tries to keep it closed, the snail is dead and should be removed.

Do a 75% water change and gravel clean the substrate every day for a week if you ever lose a fish, snail or shrimp in the aquarium. This dilutes any disease organisms in the water and reduces the chance of the other inhabitants catching anything.
Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it's added to the tank.
Thankyou so much Colin, I really had a hard time tryna figure out what that fungus was. Thankfully my little guy is still alive!

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back