Can Someone Tell Me What's Going On With My Java Ferns?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

onidrase

Let's Be Friends
Reaction score
I'm pretty new to the plant thing, only had these plants for about a month. I noticed new leaves on all my anubias, but instead of new leaves with my java ferns, they have these.. things.

Jim (my java fern anchored to driftwood) has little leaf looking things coming out of the leaves themselves. I'm not sure if this is normal or not.

Jim 2 (my java fern not anchored to drifwood) almost looks like it's growing roots out of some of the leaves, as well as some little leaf things coming out of the leafs.

That's my best description. I'm kinda plant-anatomy-stupid. I have pictures taken on my fancy fancy cellphone, but I'm having troubles sending them to my e-mail for some reason. I'll get them on here asap.

The leaves and roots are baby plants, which grow on the old leaves of java ferns.

yes, java ferns grow new plants out of the ends of their leaves... so if you need any new java ferns in any of your tanks, then this is the time!!!

oh jeez, sounds like I'm gonna lose count of all my Jim's here :blink:

Here is jim 2's growthy things

jim2growths.jpg

And here are jim 1's

jim1growths.jpg

What course of action should I take, here? Jim 2 doesn't even seem like he's a real java fern plant, when I got him, he had very little, if any roots, and was just a bunch of java fern leaves wrapped at the bottom by black string. I'm glad to see he's alive doing.. something.. whatever it is.

This is so very confusing :blink:

Just leave them; when they're ready, they'll float off of their own accord, and you can pick them off your filter inlet! Or, when they're big enough, you can break them off yourself :)

Jim is a real Java fern; they absorb most of their nutrients through their leaves, using the roots to fix themselves onto things; Jim will grow new roots, it's not a problem.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back