Can someone please ID this fish for me?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
šŸ¶ POTM Poll is Open! šŸ¦Ž Click here to Vote! šŸ°

FishHobby99

Fish Gatherer
Reaction score
I am considering buying another secondhand 125 G. The seller has already sold every fish there except this one. He is included. Heā€™s close to a foot long now & she says he wonā€™t get bigger. I have reservations and donā€™t want a baseball bat fish that looks like this. Thanks.
92C02F6E-5869-4772-8AEF-65600BDBB628.jpeg

Hypostomus plecostomus, grows to about 2 feet long in the wild but usually max out at 18 inches in aquariums. See if the local pet shop will buy it off you. Even if they give you a couple of dollars in store credit.

It's a Common Pleco that can get upwards of 2 ft long as an adult. they grow to be 3-5 inches long by the time they are a year old.
Wow, wonder how old this guy is. My plan was to put it and an Oscar and a Jack Demsey in a 110 that is 4 feet long. I bought the 8ā€ Oscar and 7ā€ Jack from this same person. I did not see the pleco. He was hiding in all the ugly decor. That tank had more decor than water. Would a growing pleco &Jack & Oscar do OK in my 4 foot long 110 G.
thank you

Hypostomus plecostomus, grows to about 2 feet long in the wild but usually max out at 18 inches in aquariums. See if the local pet shop will buy it off you. Even if they give you a couple of dollars in store credit.
I have no objections to keeping him if itā€™s ok to have him in a 4 Ft long 110 g.
you think that is ok?

You'll have a fair old bio load in that size tank so be prepared for large frequent water changes to keep your nitrate in check.

If it was me though I'd just be keeping the oscar.

Wow, wonder how old this guy is. My plan was to put it and an Oscar and a Jack Demsey in a 110 that is 4 feet long. I bought the 8ā€ Oscar and 7ā€ Jack from this same person. I did not see the pleco. He was hiding in all the ugly decor. That tank had more decor than water. Would a growing pleco &Jack & Oscar do OK in my 4 foot long 110 G.
thank you
He's probably about 3 years old. They usually reach full grown at about 5 years of age. He will create a lot of poop and you will have to stay on top of cleaning. Common Plecos are not really known for helping clean the tank either.

I have an awesome water change system. Mostly involves me sitting on my butt tweeting and making sure too much water is neither drained or added.

You'll have a fair old bio load in that size tank so be prepared for large frequent water changes to keep your nitrate in check.

If it was me though I'd just be keeping the oscar.
I already bought Jack & Oscar & love them.
E8BE4FFF-41EE-428C-8B2F-16150A6B42F3.jpeg
4F140F21-CF0F-4236-956D-EA56AC2765D3.jpeg

These three fish together cannot manage good health in a 4-foot tank. I understand this is not your doing, but the fact is that it is inhumane to keep them together in this small a tank. The Oscar on its own, fine. The JD on its own, OK. The pleco needs a huge tank. It is unfortunate that this fish is even available in the hobby.

If the tank is 4x2x2ft it might be ok for one cichlid and the pleco, but the Jack Dempsey is not a peaceful fish and could go after the Oscar. Even in a 6x2x2ft tank the Jack Dempsey is likely to cause problems to other fish. They might be ok together, but I would keep a real close eye on the Jack Dempsey.

If you do keep them together, you will need to do a big (75%) water change and gravel clean at least once a week and possibly twice a week, depending on how the nitrate levels read.

You may be correct on the pleco, but are way off on the other pair. i am sorry too the pleco is available at all in the pet industry.

Just looking for trouble in my opinion, both lovely fish but I would never put them together...

Plecos aren't the only fish that shouldn't be kept or sold by shops. Arowana, Saratoga, a lot of big cichlids and some bigger catfish (redtail) should never be brought into captivity simply due to their size. Unfortunately shops get them in as little fish and they grow, and grow, and grow. Then Joe Bloggs has to decide whether or not to keep them or rehome them.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back