Can rasbora espei and peacock gudgeons live in a PH of 8.0-8.2?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
So I hope that you're feeling a little bit better about the peacock gudgeons.

Have you been thinking what other type of fish you were going to get to put with them?
I'm considering gold ring danios or lambchop rasboras (I really like the lambchop rasboras)

I don't know if you're getting too crazy over water parameters.

All I know is my own experience.
I did enough research to where I felt comfortable getting the fish. I wouldn't have got them if I thought that I couldn't keep them.
Hardness (GH) is a measure the amount of Calcium and magnesium in he water Typically is is measured in Degrees GH. Soft water is typically between 3 and 8 degrees. Some test kits measure in ppm soft water is 30 to 90 ppm. Whee testing your water test the tank and the the tap water. If you are doing proper water changes the tank test results should be close to the tap parameters.

When looking for your water quality report. you should find a report from your water utility. Typically this in you local .gov web site. Avoid sites that have adds or want to sell you something. So type in Dallas water quality report in google. and need the top I found it. https://dallascityhall.com/departments/waterutilities/Pages/water_quality_reports.aspx

unfortunately it only talks about contaiminents. But it also says that most dalllas drinking water comes from revers wiich are full of rain water which is naturally distilled. river water is almost always soft water.Well water is typically hard or rivers feed by mostly springs are typically hard. So your water is likely soft.

If you have a hard time reading test result color charts post pictures to of the sample next to the color card. Someone will tell you what they see.

Hardness (GH) is a measure the amount of Calcium and magnesium in he water Typically is is measured in Degrees GH. Soft water is typically between 3 and 8 degrees. Some test kits measure in ppm soft water is 30 to 90 ppm. Whee testing your water test the tank and the the tap water. If you are doing proper water changes the tank test results should be close to the tap parameters.

When looking for your water quality report. you should find a report from your water utility. Typically this in you local .gov web site. Avoid sites that have adds or want to sell you something. So type in Dallas water quality report in google. and need the top I found it. https://dallascityhall.com/departments/waterutilities/Pages/water_quality_reports.aspx

unfortunately it only talks about contaiminents. But it also says that most dalllas drinking water comes from revers wiich are full of rain water which is naturally distilled. river water is almost always soft water.Well water is typically hard or rivers feed by mostly springs are typically hard. So your water is likely soft.

If you have a hard time reading test result color charts post pictures to of the sample next to the color card. Someone will tell you what they see.
Have you previously answered the question and I missed it? I have said No. What do you say?

I'm considering gold ring danios or lambchop rasboras (I really like the lambchop rasboras)
Well I don't have input on these types of fish since I haven't ever considered getting them. Just the Peacocks.

If I remember correctly, the issue was over the lamb chops pH requirements and that's how this whole thread got tangled.

When it appeared the peacocks were also in question I just thought I'd give you my experience with them.

You told me you had researched them, (peacocks) but then it seemed like you didn't want to get the peacocks or the lamb chops?

Just trying to clarify and of course I don't want you think I'm making any suggestions regarding the rasboras.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
Does this concern me?
Just curious because you are quoting @StevenF 's response to me and I am uncertain as to the question you are referring to.
Sorry I thought I quoted back to Steven. As we seem to go off track here. Steven gave a great response about Gh Kh pH etc. But the question remains can these fish live in pH 8-8.2 and I say No. Who else will say No or does everyone just research on google and will say they will be fine?

Well I don't have input on these types of fish since I haven't ever considered getting them. Just the Peacocks.

If I remember correctly, the issue was over the lamb chops pH requirements and that's how this whole thread got tangled.

When it appeared the peacocks were also in question I just thought I'd give you my experience with them.

You told me you had researched them, (peacocks) but then it seemed like you didn't want to get the peacocks or the lamb chops?

Just trying to clarify and of course I don't want you think I'm making any suggestions regarding the rasboras.

Thoughts?
Your experience was appreciated very much. I think I am sticking to my original plan after speaking with a reputable member, who I wish to stay anonymous unless he/she specifies that they want to be known. (I try to keep PMs private unless otherwise stated) They have the same tap as me and have kept harlequin rasboras which are basically a bigger version of lambchop rasboras (and yes I know they are 2 separate species but to be honest they are very similar)

Your experience was appreciated very much. I think I am sticking to my original plan after speaking with a reputable member, who I wish to stay anonymous unless he/she specifies that they want to be known. (I try to keep PMs private unless otherwise stated) They have the same tap as me and have kept harlequin rasboras which are basically a bigger version of lambchop rasboras (and yes I know they are 2 separate species but to be honest they are very similar)
I wish you well in your fishy endeavors and will be interested in the long-term outcome.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back