Can rasbora espei and peacock gudgeons live in a PH of 8.0-8.2?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
I will say it one more time for everyone here, freshwater fish do not live in water with a pH over 8

Also if you can get your tank producing enough acid it will attack the KH value you have and the pH of your water will fall, hopefully back to something that you can keep fish in.

I will say it one more time for everyone here, freshwater fish do not live in water with a pH over 8
You can say it as many times as you wish, but this is demonstrably untrue. A half mile away from my house flows a river which ranges from 8-8.5. Fish are plentiful in this river, and presumably other similar rivers around the world, not to mention the African Rift Valley lakes.

Most tropical fish, including most of the fish discussed in this thread, come from waters with a pH below 8. That is a true statement. But freshwater fish do indeed live in water with a pH over 8.

You can say it as many times as you wish, but this is demonstrably untrue. A half mile away from my house flows a river which ranges from 8-8.5. Fish are plentiful in this river, and presumably other similar rivers around the world, not to mention the African Rift Valley lakes.

Most tropical fish, including most of the fish discussed in this thread, come from waters with a pH below 8. That is a true statement. But freshwater fish do indeed live in water with a pH over 8.
I will correct the statement, the fish that we try to keep in aquariums don't live in a pH over 8. Everyone knows what I am saying, putting a Betta or a Tetra or a Barb or a Rasbora in a tank with a pH over 8 is cruel.

I also found another species of danio called a glowlight danio NOT the brand glow fish it's actually called a glowlight danio.

Also, @vanalisa (sorry for the ping) I dont know if you saw my question when I replied to your message and I wasn't sure if you meant that the gudgeons should be ok in the PH I have...

Hey, Rocky!
Sorry just responding.
The following snipitt is cut and pasted off of today's Google search when I enquired about pH of my city tap water:

7.2 to 8.2

Health Information about Drinking Water Questions ... ,- Dallas

Is Dallas's water soft or hard? Dallas's water is very soft. What is the pH of Dallas's water? In the distribution system, pH typically ranges from 7.2 to 8.2.
https://www.dallasor.gov › W...
PDF

Okay so please note that this government site is saying that Dallas has very soft water...

(Just hang tight with that thought for just a minute)...

So indeed, when I have done testing with my master test kit, which I haven't done for a while because...well not sure why...best I can think is that I've been running the same tanks for a while...and frankly those test kits just get my panties in a wad.

Is it yellow or is it green? This yellow looks yellow-green!
Is it greenish to greenish-yellow green, or is it yellow to yellow greenish--green?

Or is it blue? Or blue-ish-ey ?At some point I had to take the....eh-hum...plunge.

(I got the fish.
Repeat.
Combined the two species; all with fingers and fins crossed...
Now are baby fry).

API fun !
My water was at the top of the regular range pH vial 😬
So
After that it's on to the second vial. 🧐
Even API says over the certain amount it will stop measuring until it gets itelf all comfy in the other vial.

Uhm, hey ya pH? Ya comfy in there? Fancy a wee bit-o-peat for Yar feet? That vial softy enuff for you? 😋

Then and only then...what?
No seriously, I can't remember.

Please excuse my irreverent tone. I'm positively shredded to pretty pihrana pieces over this predicament.

I believe in The One True Master Kit. I stand humbly before one and all present here and beg the question:

Is my water hard or soft?

Here is where we look again at that information we were holding on to from my Google search.
(See above).

My water is very soft? Something must be wrong, my fish are alive 😮 . I must have been misinformed, my fish need hard water!!! Oh dear. And before when I checked the OTHER site it said my water was moderately- hard to hard.
Oh my.

I'm not sure what is considered hard water. I'm sure there's a technical description somewhere, but it does appear that there are different markers for soft and hard.

I think mine would be considered moderately hard-hard. But website says soft?
Ouch.

Also when I checked online I was really surprised that there was a larger variance between cities then I would have thought. Definitely a good idea if I move a couple hours away to take into consideration.

So, just to re-cap...
Today's Google search said I have soft water.
I just researched my water online.
Last time I am certain it said that I have moderately hard to hard water because I decided to go ahead and take the plunge, remember?

Previously I have also inquired at my LFS. It's been about a year in between.

RESULTS:

140 PPM today's online info
(told 180PPM last time I checked with my LFS)
8 gpg today's online info
(told 11gpg last time by cute guy at LFS

Gosh I'm just not sure what my point is now. I do want to stress again that I don't mean be flippant about fish handling.

I understand that I may not be giving my fish the perfect conditions. Sometimes I question whether or not I should even be keeping fish. It would seem the least I could do is make sure I know what the heck is going on with the pH.

Anyway, @Rocky998 , I'm not sure if any of this helped or made sense. I just stand in gratitude for my lovely fish and hope that they are happy with me. I'm convinced if I go do a water change right now that the pH is going to be just perfect.

7.2-8.2 pH, the website says.
It's gettin' all wiggly in here.
Rockin' it like a Proper Pseudomugil fry.

Hey, Rocky!
Sorry just responding.
The following snipitt is cut and pasted off of today's Google search when I enquired about pH of my city tap water:

7.2 to 8.2

Health Information about Drinking Water Questions ... ,- Dallas

Is Dallas's water soft or hard? Dallas's water is very soft. What is the pH of Dallas's water? In the distribution system, pH typically ranges from 7.2 to 8.2.
https://www.dallasor.gov › W...
PDF

Okay so please note that this government site is saying that Dallas has very soft water...

(Just hang tight with that thought for just a minute)...

So indeed, when I have done testing with my master test kit, which I haven't done for a while because...well not sure why...best I can think is that I've been running the same tanks for a while...and frankly those test kits just get my panties in a wad.

Is it yellow or is it green? This yellow looks yellow-green!
Is it greenish to greenish-yellow green, or is it yellow to yellow greenish--green?

Or is it blue? Or blue-ish-ey ?At some point I had to take the....eh-hum...plunge.

(I got the fish.
Repeat.
Combined the two species; all with fingers and fins crossed...
Now are baby fry).

API fun !
My water was at the top of the regular range pH vial 😬
So
After that it's on to the second vial. 🧐
Even API says over the certain amount it will stop measuring until it gets itelf all comfy in the other vial.

Uhm, hey ya pH? Ya comfy in there? Fancy a wee bit-o-peat for Yar feet? That vial softy enuff for you? 😋

Then and only then...what?
No seriously, I can't remember.

Please excuse my irreverent tone. I'm positively shredded to pretty pihrana pieces over this predicament.

I believe in The One True Master Kit. I stand humbly before one and all present here and beg the question:

Is my water hard or soft?

Here is where we look again at that information we were holding on to from my Google search.
(See above).

My water is very soft? Something must be wrong, my fish are alive 😮 . I must have been misinformed, my fish need hard water!!! Oh dear. And before when I checked the OTHER site it said my water was moderately- hard to hard.
Oh my.

I'm not sure what is considered hard water. I'm sure there's a technical description somewhere, but it does appear that there are different markers for soft and hard.

I think mine would be considered moderately hard-hard. But website says soft?
Ouch.

Also when I checked online I was really surprised that there was a larger variance between cities then I would have thought. Definitely a good idea if I move a couple hours away to take into consideration.

So, just to re-cap...
Today's Google search said I have soft water.
I just researched my water online.
Last time I am certain it said that I have moderately hard to hard water because I decided to go ahead and take the plunge, remember?

Previously I have also inquired at my LFS. It's been about a year in between.

RESULTS:

140 PPM today's online info
(told 180PPM last time I checked with my LFS)
8 gpg today's online info
(told 11gpg last time by cute guy at LFS

Gosh I'm just not sure what my point is now. I do want to stress again that I don't mean be flippant about fish handling.

I understand that I may not be giving my fish the perfect conditions. Sometimes I question whether or not I should even be keeping fish. It would seem the least I could do is make sure I know what the heck is going on with the pH.

Anyway, @Rocky998 , I'm not sure if any of this helped or made sense. I just stand in gratitude for my lovely fish and hope that they are happy with me. I'm convinced if I go do a water change right now that the pH is going to be just perfect.

7.2-8.2 pH, the website says.
It's gettin' all wiggly in here.
Rockin' it like a Proper Pseudomugil fry.
Ok, so I can keep gudgeons in my tank... Thank you! Some people I think go a little too crazy over water parameters... You can try to match water parameters perfectly but c'mon... That is going a little insane. And tbh I was going a little insane with a miderate headache. So, my final decision is to literally do nothing and get the fish. I think I was trying to be perfect with this and I have to learn to be happy with what I have.

I don't know if you're getting too crazy over water parameters.

All I know is my own experience.
I did enough research to where I felt comfortable getting the fish. I wouldn't have got them if I thought that I couldn't keep them.

I didn't overly research the situation and I certainly never considered the gH kH levels.

Maybe this is bad but I felt like I had done my due diligence, and I got the fish.

Here's gobs of resources but I'm glad I didn't look at it because it seems like it would be a huge project, (although an interesting one).

I don't know if you're getting too crazy over water parameters.

All I know is my own experience.
I did enough research to where I felt comfortable getting the fish. I wouldn't have got them if I thought that I couldn't keep them.

I didn't overly research the situation and I certainly never considered the gH kH levels.

Maybe this is bad but I felt like I had done my due diligence, and I got the fish.

Here's gobs of resources but I'm glad I didn't look at it because it seems like it would be a huge project, (although an interesting one).

I'll have to check that out later! Thanks!

If you know the little paragraph at the top says that they live in softer water. But I go back to him my initial thoughts what exactly does that mean and who's considering it?

Here's more stuff just for fun because I didn't know the definition of the word "polymictic" so I thought I'd look it up:

If you really wanted to know you could research something that lists specific tributaries that these fish live in including my blue-eyed fork tails.
Since I don't know if they actually come from Papa New Guinea or if someone bread them I really can't be sure, right? Somebody here where I live probably bred them in their tank much to their joy, and they probably traded them in at their local fish store for product. Which is what I'm planning to do 😁.

So I hope that you're feeling a little bit better about the peacock gudgeons.

Have you been thinking what other type of fish you were going to get to put with them?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back