Can rasbora espei and peacock gudgeons live in a PH of 8.0-8.2?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
Just to clarify the pH down vinegar question.
Ingredients in pH down. The basic ingredients of pH DownTM are phosphoric acid, citric acid, and mono ammonium phosphate.

Vinegar usage rates;

Can I use vinegar for pH down?

I personally have used both pH Down and white vinegar to acidify tap water. Currently, I use vinegar because it is easily accessible and is very cheap. Its aroumd $3 a bottle and last a full growing season. I mix a teaspoon of vinegar per gallon of water and to adjust the pH of my water from 7.5-7.8 to 6.2-6.5

Just to clarify the pH down vinegar question.
Ingredients in pH down. The basic ingredients of pH DownTM are phosphoric acid, citric acid, and mono ammonium phosphate.

Vinegar usage rates;

Can I use vinegar for pH down?

I personally have used both pH Down and white vinegar to acidify tap water. Currently, I use vinegar because it is easily accessible and is very cheap. Its aroumd $3 a bottle and last a full growing season. I mix a teaspoon of vinegar per gallon of water and to adjust the pH of my water from 7.5-7.8 to 6.2-6.5
How healthy are those acid-dwelling fish?

How healthy are those acid-dwelling fish?
pH 6.5 -6.8 is standard for acid loving fish.

On the subject of vinegar I thought of something today, "Why we added vinegar at the fish shows". The reason was that none of the tanks had any filtration or had been cycled in any way. They were bare tanks that we put our fish in. By adding vinegar, we could make the tanks go acidic and then avoid any Ammonia spike from adding the fish.

Could you provide a photo of your floating plants? Floatingplanthave first access to light and have unlimited access to CO2 in the air. In my experience with floating plants is that they can grow as fast as any stem plant. So

if the floating plants are not doing well it is probably because they are not getting enough nutrients from the water Such as nitrogen, potassium, calcium, magnesium, sulfur, iron, manganese and several others There are a total of 14 nutrients that are essential for growth. If just one is missing plants will not grow. and eventually they may die. With minimal plant growth plants will not be able to alter your PH and KH. Also with your KH as high it is simply impossible for plants to correct the problem.

Calculate how much distilled water you will need for a year and the calculate how much that will cost. You will likely spend more money to buy distilled water than a RO unit would cost aless even if you facto in the replacement filter costs.
this RO system cost $60 and can be connected to a facet in only minutes when it is needed. And it can produce 50 gallons a day. However note that I don't own this system.

Also with no fishing your tank the is no fish waist to provide any nutrients.your plants that are growing are probably theones that are speciallist at surviving in nutrient poor water. Also with your KH and PH as high as they are it will be hard to maintain adequate iron and magnanese levels in your water.

• Well in my tank plant growth pushes the PH up. Not down. I have to dim the lights to keep it close to 7. If I run at brighter light levels my ph will exceed 8.5. And it is apparently related to plant growth.
  • Amino acids are are primarily found in the DNA of plants. As long as the plant is healthy the amino acids will not be floating free in the water.
  • Aminoacids are not soluble in fresh water. Apparently they are only soluble in the salty solution that fills the cells of plant.
  • Plants and bacterial quickly consum it because it is a great source of nitrogen. So if you have a lot of fast growing plants they will remove any amino acids in the water.
If your pH is being pushed up by your plants then you have dangerously high CO2 levels and that needs to be corrected, for the safety of your fish.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Running tanks close to your source water is fine, but we don't all want to do that. So, buffering the water to where it needs to be is the answer.
In the last year I have set up and grown out a batch of rift lake cichlids, done on rainwater. Now I'm going to have a tank with tetras and cory's done with rainwater. You can buffer any water to what you want, and it doesn't have to be unnatural or expensive. It takes a little thought and thinking outside of the box.

I wonder if I can do some GBRs with the peacock gudgeons... I know they've been known to live in 8.0 ph

I wonder if I can do some GBRs with the peacock gudgeons... I know they've been known to live in 8.0 ph

The difference in temperature makes this un-workable. The gudgeon has a range of 72-79F but the blue or common ram (all of the varieties) must have warmth in the 82-86F range.

The difference in temperature makes this un-workable. The gudgeon has a range of 72-79F but the blue or common ram (all of the varieties) must have warmth in the 82-86F range.
Ah ok.... Thanks...

I have only ever used plants, peat, driftwood and small water changes to bring my pH down.
I wish the water changes were an option for me 😂

I have only ever used plants, peat, driftwood and small water changes to bring my pH down.

This works for you because you have soft water with presumably low GH/KH so little or no buffering. At least that is what you have previously posted elsewhere. And more recently in another thread you talk about using rainwater. Unfortunately @Rocky998 has water with a very high KH.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back