Can rasbora espei and peacock gudgeons live in a PH of 8.0-8.2?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

I found something very interesting but its good news! I'd have to use a smaller bucket for water changes and my mom is ok with it but the sink water reads somewhere between 7.4 and 7.8 (I took 2 tests to be absolutely sure) and the outside water remains at an 8-8.2

I found something very interesting but its good news! I'd have to use a smaller bucket for water changes and my mom is ok with it but the sink water reads somewhere between 7.4 and 7.8 (I took 2 tests to be absolutely sure) and the outside water remains at an 8-8.2

Yoou let the sink water sit 24 hours to out-gas and it is 7.4?

Yoou let the sink water sit 24 hours to out-gas and it is 7.4?
No... But I wouldn't be degasing it if I did a water change... I'll let it sit out with a cover on it

No... But I wouldn't be degasing it if I did a water change... I'll let it sit out with a cover on it

Yes you would. The pH of the water is what it is, 8.2 or something. Fresh run water can have dissolved CO2 that it gets along the way, and the test will show a lower pH, say 7.4. But this is not the pH of the water, it is 8.2. Once you start adding the water to the aquarium, the CO2 does out-gas, within minutes. I see this at many water changes, depending upon the CO2 in the water on that day. Bubbles all over the tank are CO2 that is being released from the fresh water.

Yes you would. The pH of the water is what it is, 8.2 or something. Fresh run water can have dissolved CO2 that it gets along the way, and the test will show a lower pH, say 7.4. But this is not the pH of the water, it is 8.2. Once you start adding the water to the aquarium, the CO2 does out-gas, within minutes. I see this at many water changes, depending upon the CO2 in the water on that day. Bubbles all over the tank are CO2 that is being released from the fresh water.
I have a small container set out with a paper towel loosely on top...

I have a small container set out with a paper towel loosely on top...

I must say I am intrigued by your thinking at times...what is this supposed to achieve?

I must say I am intrigued by your thinking at times...what is this supposed to achieve?
I guess I forgot to mention the container is holding the water and the paper towel is to keep most of the debris and contaminates out for a little while

I'm thinking about setting up a very small PH filtration system for the tank... It will have one softning filter to hopefully lower the KH and 2 small mesh bags of peat moss to lower KH and PH... What do you all think?

I think, and offer my thoughts with an affectionate
spirit to you, a fellow Peacock Gudgeon lover.

What I think is that you are disappointed that things aren't working out exactly as planned.
I think you've considered throwing away your hard work and dedication over your frustration.
I think you are angry, too.
Especially since some people insist on explaining to you the reasons things are the way they are. (Keep in mind these people are spending time and effort because they believe in you and want you to succeed).

It is unfair, that some things are simply the way they are. I can't bear to have someone tell me that "life is unfair," I become inconsolable. So I won't be telling you that. Besides, "life,"
isn't really unfair, but it is, inevitably, difficult. (Think about that one...).

That being said, I will share something from who or where I cannot remember---the sentiment has been shared in many different words but the core message is the same:

Happiness is not having what you want, rather it is wanting what you have.
🤗

(Your Peacocks are feeling left out over all this fuss over espies, btw. Weren't they your must-have-dream-fish)?
IMG_20210824_195629.jpg

I think, and offer my thoughts with an affectionate
spirit to you, a fellow Peacock Gudgeon lover.

What I think is that you are disappointed that things aren't working out exactly as planned.
I think you've considered throwing away your hard work and dedication over your frustration.
I think you are angry, too.
Especially since some people insist on explaining to you the reasons things are the way they are. (Keep in mind these people are spending time and effort because they believe in you and want you to succeed).

It is unfair, that some things are simply the way they are. I can't bear to have someone tell me that "life is unfair," I become inconsolable. So I won't be telling you that. Besides, "life,"
isn't really unfair, but it is, inevitably, difficult. (Think about that one...).

That being said, I will share something from who or where I cannot remember---the sentiment has been shared in many different words but the core message is the same:

Happiness is not having what you want, rather it is wanting what you have.
🤗

(Your Peacocks are feeling left out over all this fuss over espies, btw. Weren't they your must-have-dream-fish)?
View attachment 149137
Thank you for your conforting words! It means a lot... Ive been through a lot with this aquarium and I'm kinda tired of all the set-backs... Ya know, some people really suck at reading other people's feelings, but you just read mine like you found a book of my emotions... And I'm very glad you did... I'm still very frustrated but you made me feel at least 10 times better...

The reason I've been talking about the espeis so much is because I cant get the gudgeons until I get the schooling fish in... I know gudgeons are rarely aggressive but I want the smaller fish to get the upperhand here.

I have plants in my tank now that are thriving... The java ferns are growing fairly quickly as well as the anubias... My floating plants are not doing so well and I have algae growing on the floater roots that has anchored it to some drift wood.

While I have no fish

Could you provide a photo of your floating plants? Floatingplanthave first access to light and have unlimited access to CO2 in the air. In my experience with floating plants is that they can grow as fast as any stem plant. So

if the floating plants are not doing well it is probably because they are not getting enough nutrients from the water Such as nitrogen, potassium, calcium, magnesium, sulfur, iron, manganese and several others There are a total of 14 nutrients that are essential for growth. If just one is missing plants will not grow. and eventually they may die. With minimal plant growth plants will not be able to alter your PH and KH. Also with your KH as high it is simply impossible for plants to correct the problem.

This is a definite no go for me... Wayyyy to expensive for me. BUT, I may be able to use distilled water which my mom does frequently buy anyways
Calculate how much distilled water you will need for a year and the calculate how much that will cost. You will likely spend more money to buy distilled water than a RO unit would cost aless even if you facto in the replacement filter costs.
this RO system cost $60 and can be connected to a facet in only minutes when it is needed. And it can produce 50 gallons a day. However note that I don't own this system.

Also with no fishing your tank the is no fish waist to provide any nutrients.your plants that are growing are probably theones that are speciallist at surviving in nutrient poor water. Also with your KH and PH as high as they are it will be hard to maintain adequate iron and magnanese levels in your water.

roteins are the building blocks of life, and they are made of amino acids. All life requires acids to function, your tank will produce acid when it has life in it.
  • Well in my tank plant growth pushes the PH up. Not down. I have to dim the lights to keep it close to 7. If I run at brighter light levels my ph will exceed 8.5. And it is apparently related to plant growth.
  • Amino acids are are primarily found in the DNA of plants. As long as the plant is healthy the amino acids will not be floating free in the water.
  • Aminoacids are not soluble in fresh water. Apparently they are only soluble in the salty solution that fills the cells of plant.
  • Plants and bacterial quickly consum it because it is a great source of nitrogen. So if you have a lot of fast growing plants they will remove any amino acids in the water.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Could you provide a photo of your floating plants? Floatingplanthave first access to light and have unlimited access to CO2 in the air. In my experience with floating plants is that they can grow as fast as any stem plant. So

if the floating plants are not doing well it is probably because they are not getting enough nutrients from the water Such as nitrogen, potassium, calcium, magnesium, sulfur, iron, manganese and several others There are a total of 14 nutrients that are essential for growth. If just one is missing plants will not grow. and eventually they may die. With minimal plant growth plants will not be able to alter your PH and KH. Also with your KH as high it is simply impossible for plants to correct the problem.

Calculate how much distilled water you will need for a year and the calculate how much that will cost. You will likely spend more money to buy distilled water than a RO unit would cost aless even if you facto in the replacement filter costs.
this RO system cost $60 and can be connected to a facet in only minutes when it is needed. And it can produce 50 gallons a day. However note that I don't own this system.

Also with no fishing your tank the is no fish waist to provide any nutrients.your plants that are growing are probably theones that are speciallist at surviving in nutrient poor water. Also with your KH and PH as high as they are it will be hard to maintain adequate iron and magnanese levels in your water.

• Well in my tank plant growth pushes the PH up. Not down. I have to dim the lights to keep it close to 7. If I run at brighter light levels my ph will exceed 8.5. And it is apparently related to plant growth.
  • Amino acids are are primarily found in the DNA of plants. As long as the plant is healthy the amino acids will not be floating free in the water.
  • Aminoacids are not soluble in fresh water. Apparently they are only soluble in the salty solution that fills the cells of plant.
  • Plants and bacterial quickly consum it because it is a great source of nitrogen. So if you have a lot of fast growing plants they will remove any amino acids in the water.
Thanks! I'll check this out

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Who says you can't?

I do understand, though. It took me a while to put a second species in my tank due to worry over agression and about doing everything the right way. My stress was agonizing because everything was healthy and I didn't want to fail.

I trust that you will figure something out.

You owe it to yourself to enjoy your tank now. Just an opinion, but why not just get your Peacock fish now and enjoy them? You can figure out another fish for sure! I won't mention it again I won't try to change your mind, but your tank is cycled, you earned it, and I'm sure others are excited for you and would agree!

Who says you can't?

I do understand, though. It took me a while to put a second species in my tank due to worry over agression and about doing everything the right way. My stress was agonizing because everything was healthy and I didn't want to fail.

I trust that you will figure something out.

You owe it to yourself to enjoy your tank now. Just an opinion, but why not just get your Peacock fish now and enjoy them? You can figure out another fish for sure! I won't mention it again I won't try to change your mind, but your tank is cycled, you earned it, and I'm sure others are excited for you and would agree!
So the gudgeons will be fine in a ph of 8.0-8.2?

Most reactions

trending

Members online

No members online now.
Back