Can rasbora espei and peacock gudgeons live in a PH of 8.0-8.2?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Rocky998

Kinda crazy, but somehow they let me stay
Tank of the Month 🏆
Reaction score
So @Byron told me that as long as you keep a steady PH that isnt too far from what they would like (7.8 PH) that they should be fine. Is this ok? I'm in no way contradicting what he said... I just want a 2nd opinion is all.

Did you get to the root cause of your high PH source water? Whilst I agree a stable PH is better than one artificially lowered in terms of stability, I do feel T.espei would be better suited to more neutral/slightly acidic waters, though tank bred specimens bred locally to you will probably tolerate water parameters slightly outside of their preferred a little better. PH is only one aspect though, GH and KH are more important (particularly the former)

Have you considered choosing a more suitable species in terms of water chemistry? I don't recall the volume of your tank but given your high PH it is probable your water is high in mineral content and considered hard (do you know your GH and KH). African cichlids, rainbow fish and live bearers would be more suited.

Did you get to the root cause of your high PH source water? Whilst I agree a stable PH is better than one artificially lowered in terms of stability, I do feel T.espei would be better suited to more neutral/slightly acidic waters, though tank bred specimens bred locally to you will probably tolerate water parameters slightly outside of their preferred a little better. PH is only one aspect though, GH and KH are more important (particularly the former)

Have you considered choosing a more suitable species in terms of water chemistry? I don't recall the volume of your tank but given your high PH it is probable your water is high in mineral content and considered hard (do you know your GH and KH). African cichlids, rainbow fish and live bearers would be more suited.
my KH is 13 and my GH is 3... I may test them again though just to be sure

Just to clarify... A pH above 7 is not the best for the rasbora, they come from acidic waters and the pH can be very low. If memory serves me, I believe the peacock gudgeon has a range from slightly acidic to slightly basic. That deals with the habitats and the obvious preferences "best" for these fish. It is still the GH that matters most, and the GH here is around 3 dH which is very soft, so no problem there.

Fish adaptability to a different pH is a debatable topic, and I do not like to get embroiled in it, as there are a number of relevant factors and it gets complex to say the least. It is certainly true that a stable pH is less problem for the fish than one that is jumping around from attempts (usually unsuccessful) to adjust it.

Just to clarify... A pH above 7 is not the best for the rasbora, they come from acidic waters and the pH can be very low. If memory serves me, I believe the peacock gudgeon has a range from slightly acidic to slightly basic. That deals with the habitats and the obvious preferences "best" for these fish. It is still the GH that matters most, and the GH here is around 3 dH which is very soft, so no problem there.

Fish adaptability to a different pH is a debatable topic, and I do not like to get embroiled in it, as there are a number of relevant factors and it gets complex to say the least. It is certainly true that a stable pH is less problem for the fish than one that is jumping around from attempts (usually unsuccessful) to adjust it.
I may call up my LPS to see what their PH runs at

Simply there are few species of freshwater fish that should be kept in a tank with a pH of 8.2
So did I just waste all my money and my parents' money?

I may call up my LPS to see what their PH runs at

OK, but that tells you nothing of value. Any fish will (or usually does) manage in less-than-preferred water parameters for a few weeks. Most fish stores do little if anything to adjust their basic water for all the differing requirement fish they stock, but they intend to get rid of the fish within days or weeks. It is permanent living in your water that is going to affect (or not, depending) the life of the fish.

OK, but that tells you nothing of value. Any fish will (or usually does) manage in less-than-preferred water parameters for a few weeks. Most fish stores do little if anything to adjust their basic water for all the differing requirement fish they stock, but they intend to get rid of the fish within days or weeks. It is permanent living in your water that is going to affect (or not, depending) the life of the fish.
true... so be honest and dont sugar coat it... Was this a waste of time and effort?

What if I tried fluval peat granules in my filter?

Your solution is to fill the tank with plant and driftwood and get as much organic activity happening in your tank as you can. Do only very small water changes of none at all on this system until you see the pH down below 7.

Your solution is to fill the tank with plant and driftwood and get as much organic activity happening in your tank as you can. Do only very small water changes of none at all on this system until you see the pH down below 7.
well, my problem is... I dont have a lot more space for any plants... I cant add anything else

I could try peat moss and almond leaves maybe

Most reactions

trending

Back