Can Ramshorn Snails Pass Diseases to Humans?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to enter! šŸ†

Aspen35

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I recently read about Ramshorns causing disease in humans. Although it doesnā€™t seem to happen in the United States, Iā€™m terrified all the same. I recently brought some snails from my pond inside. The pond has not ever had fish in in, and has been around for who knows how long. (Previous owners lived in the house for 20 years, didnā€™t add any fish.) Is there any possibility of these snails making me sick? If I keep them in quarantine for a couple months without fish, will that be enough to eradicate any diseases they may carry?
And lastly, will washing my hands very will be enough to to stay healthy, or should I wear gloves?

I recently read about Ramshorns causing disease in humans. Although it doesnā€™t seem to happen in the United States, Iā€™m terrified all the same. I recently brought some snails from my pond inside. The pond has not ever had fish in in, and has been around for who knows how long. (Previous owners lived in the house for 20 years, didnā€™t add any fish.) Is there any possibility of these snails making me sick? If I keep them in quarantine for a couple months without fish, will that be enough to eradicate any diseases they may carry?
And lastly, will washing my hands very will be enough to to stay healthy, or should I wear gloves?
Definitely quarantine them. When doing water changes washing your hands/arms should work (which you should be doing anyway, because fish poop lol), but if you have an open wound like a cut or hangnail or something you may want to wear gloves, I wear gloves if I have a wound because I have dealt with fish tuberculosis before as a precaution. Overall your chance of getting even slightly sick is pretty low :)

Is there a certain type of glove that works best?
Find one that dosent have anything like powder coating that could go into the water and harm the fish, maybe one that goes as far up the arm as possible and isnt likely to fill with water? I use ones for vets assisting with bovine labor, it goes up to the shoulder. You may be able to find something on Amazon

Perhaps something like this?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    198.9 KB · Views: 73
Yes, they can , mostly in poor countries in South America Africa and Asia with poor water conditions. (people urinating and defecating into the local water which is also their drinking water)

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back