Can Pygmy cory’s breed while in tank with Platys?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Platyfishwoo

Reaction score
Hello

I have 6 Pygmy cory’s in a tank with 7 platy. Will they eventually breed even with other species of fish?

It is a 65L tank and I do regular water changes and the Pygmy seem to be well feed. I would say it’s a well planted tank.

All of the articles I’ve read about Pygmy breeding reference them being in their own tank but also say they breed reasonably easily.

thanks in advance!

If conditions are good and the fish well fed, they will breed in the aquarium. However, the platies and other fish in the tank might eat the eggs or baby fish.

Thanks for your responses guys - is there a chance if I’m quick enough I’ll be able to transfer the eggs to a breeding box I have?

Thanks for your responses guys - is there a chance if I’m quick enough I’ll be able to transfer the eggs to a breeding box I have?
Yes. If the platies are well fed and there are lots of hiding places (plants), the fish might not bother trying to eat the eggs. You can then carefully scrape them off the glass and put them in a hatching tank/ container.

If you put the eggs in a breeding net in the aquarium, the platies might eat the eggs through the mesh netting. A plastic container (2 litre icecream bucket) or something similar is a better option. Have an airstone bubbling away gently in the container with the eggs.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back