Can plecos pop?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

gadazobe

Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator ⚒️
Reaction score
In my community tank I have a pleco named Simon :D I love him :love: coz he's so cool - very disruptive ;) but cool. Every now and then I give him a treat, cucumber, courgette or peas. Just put a bit of cu in the tank and he has gone completely mad :) He's laying on top of it (all 6-7" of him) and won't let anyone else near it. :D I even tried picking him off it but his sucker mouth is stuck to it like glue :look: and he didn't even hide from me like he usually does. :) They can't eat till they pop - can they? :what: Got a similar reaction from the bristlenose (Sam) in the cichlid tank - but he's much more shy than Simon and runs and hides if anyone comes near him :)

Never heard of a plec popping, pooping yes (all the time) but popping no.

With all those vegies going into him, it is also unlikely it will get constipated sooooo, hope ya have a good gravel cleaner :D :D :p :p :D

Pleco's are notorious for being gluttons........i should know ive got loads the biggest being a 2 foot long Red Sailfin Pleco!! :0

The only thing to watch with them is overfeeding as they will just poop it out again undigested and pollute the tank, they dont need feeding often as they are scavengers and will eat fallen food particles that other fish leave behind.

BTW just a foot note you do know that they can grow incredibally big dont you? i have a Common Pleco that is now a good 18 inches in length!!!! and ive seen them get much much bigger in the right conditions

hope this helps ;)

When I got Simon (only my plecos have names as they are great characters :D ) I was a complete novice at fishkeeping :what: , so I went to a not so reputable LFS and asked for "something to keep the algae under control" :) They showed me Simon at 1.5 inches and it was :love: at first sight (from me anyway :) ) I told them the size of my tank (180 litres) and they said that it wouldn't be a problem as Simon wouldn't get any bigger that 4 inches. :0 So Simon and I became "soul mates" and he took pride of place in my tank - kept the glass spotless :D He grew and grew and grew, and when he doubled his size, I looked plecos up on the web and learnt that all being well, he would reach 18" :laugh: :laugh: He is now 6-7" and still going strong -hasn't touched the glass in months - and has turned into a lazy, veggie guzzling pleco, but I still :love: him dearly and am now planning on how I can a larger tank in my small flat :D :D

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back