Can Oscars And Parrots Cross-breed ?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Davo86

Cichlids, Catfish and Oddballs
Reaction score
Ok, so i went in today to find 3 fish in one of the Quarantine tanks, my colleague stated that a customer brought in 6 but 3 had died shortly after they were brought in (presumably suffocated due to lack of air in the bag by the sounds)

Anyway these 3 fish have the unmistakable pattern and colours of a tiger oscar but the shape (one especially) is very similar to that of the parrots

Maybe its parrot's juvie coloration? Parrot and oscar crossbreeding are almost impossible but again we've heard the stories about other impossible hybrids with parrots like red snook x blood parrot hybrid existed. (I've seen the 3inch long fry of snook x blood parrot)

tbh they look like really deformed oscars but their mouths and face is so like that of the blood parrots
they range from about 6 inches to 9 inches and are definitely part oscar

I'm going to try and get pics after work tomorrow

tbh they look like really deformed oscars but their mouths and face is so like that of the blood parrots
they range from about 6 inches to 9 inches and are definitely part oscar

I'm going to try and get pics after work tomorrow

Nope oscars and parrots cannot cross. But the parrot stule deformity is quite common in other cichlids. I have seen oscars like that (im sure I have a pic somewhere).

T is totally correct parrots and oscars cant breed.
deformities appear in all breeds of organisms.
maybe they're all part of the same spawn.

It'd be nice to get a picture posted tho

What you guys are saying sounds about right...

How about cross breed between a red devil and a oscar or a oscar and a severum?

as zawiha kindly explained they are probably just deformed.
you see alot of "short bodied" cichlids these days, wether they are born like it or manipulated when young is unknown.

they look horrific. poor things. what would cause a deformity like that?

Me too, I would put the last one down for good. They don't look very healthy to me. Bulging eyes, lifeless and no jaws, can't see any jaws on them. They are 100% purebred oscar but they don't sure look like it. What you do, don't breed these oscars to each other or other oscars but its good for everybody. What you gonna do with them? They need really special home, not average home tank. Do not sell them for profit. I have a 100gal tank for cichlids with special needs.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back