Can Monstera grow in fish tank with roots in water?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Navfish

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Can Monstera grow in a fish tank with roots in water? Will it pose a risk? I ask because I looked online and there are a ton of mixed reviews.
I have a gorgeous monstera plant that I would love to put in the fish tank

I have a mini monsterra growing out of mine :) Really love it!
1656667006301.png

They are poisonous to mammals but the jury is out on how they effect fish - I've never seen a report of fish dying or being ill from it but people are suspicious because of the effect on humans and pets etc.

These are a couple of youtube channels i like that are doing really interesting things with Riparian planting - personally I wish this was a bigger part of the aquarium hobby as the benefits are massive.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4zZfqa5Fa89sabK6WB86Ww

Wills :)

Mine have grown really well they were very vine like until they started grow anchor roots I believe there called and now I have to prune the leaves , this photo is from about a month ago and it’s about half of what I have in there , also I have a few peace Lilly’s that surprisingly are sprouting aquatic leaves , as long as the original leaves are out of the water new leaves will grow in the water and continue to grow without ever leaving the water , I’m going to try and see if you can adapt the plant over a few months to a year where I can fully submerge a peace lily .

Attachments

• 4C1A0FB3-35E2-4C4D-91AC-9821728A5D97.jpeg
    4C1A0FB3-35E2-4C4D-91AC-9821728A5D97.jpeg
    256.6 KB · Views: 86
  • 2EAE6DFB-7A92-4954-9CC4-5C5AAC9737C9.jpeg
    2EAE6DFB-7A92-4954-9CC4-5C5AAC9737C9.jpeg
    201.8 KB · Views: 103
In my old house, I had a Monstera vine (the one with the huge leaves) stretching across the room's long window, and back around again. The roots were in the corner of my 120, which it shared with a Pothos vine as well. I would guesstimate that when I cut it to move, with all the loops and twists it was around 15 feet/5 meters or so. It didn't survive the move and I've started another to replace it - still at 3 big leaves and a basic root system that is expanding at last.
It takes a few weeks to talk them into cooperating. The "Swiss cheese" and "mini-monstera" varieties didn't want to push out aquatic roots. I was going to get rid of one of my 2 75 gallon tanks, but I need it for the vines!

Mine have grown really well they were very vine like until they started grow anchor roots I believe there called and now I have to prune the leaves , this photo is from about a month ago and it’s about half of what I have in there , also I have a few peace Lilly’s that surprisingly are sprouting aquatic leaves , as long as the original leaves are out of the water new leaves will grow in the water and continue to grow without ever leaving the water , I’m going to try and see if you can adapt the plant over a few months to a year where I can fully submerge a peace lily .
These are looking great! Not seen pics for a while - hint hint haha!

These are looking great! Not seen pics for a while - hint hint haha!
Honestly my phone is that old I don’t take photos but I bought two oscars today so I’m going to use my partners phone later or tomorrow to get some decent photos of them .. I got a red one lol

I have a mini monsterra growing out of mine :) Really love it!
View attachment 162266

They are poisonous to mammals but the jury is out on how they effect fish - I've never seen a report of fish dying or being ill from it but people are suspicious because of the effect on humans and pets etc.

These are a couple of youtube channels i like that are doing really interesting things with Riparian planting - personally I wish this was a bigger part of the aquarium hobby as the benefits are massive.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4zZfqa5Fa89sabK6WB86Ww

Wills :)
I have put my monstera in! Although it doesn’t compare to urs and everyone else’s

Attachments

• 4ABA07DA-A813-421C-8D44-1E8CBF2F0A21.jpeg
    4ABA07DA-A813-421C-8D44-1E8CBF2F0A21.jpeg
    212.2 KB · Views: 87
  • 717D6E76-B263-48E3-9920-DEC91CF0F7EA.jpeg
    717D6E76-B263-48E3-9920-DEC91CF0F7EA.jpeg
    224.8 KB · Views: 92
I have put my monstera in! Although it doesn’t compare to urs and everyone else’s
I love the look of your tanks!! You should enter them into the TOTM contests.
What size are they?

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back