Can Lion Head Goldfish Be Aggressive Towards Other Fish.

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

xion0374

Reaction score
I was wondering if or could a lion head gold fish be aggressive towards other fish.

Situation is as follow.  My 55gal is nearly complete and I thought I setup a small 5gal tank to get that bio system up and running as well to house spawning fish.  Threw the lion head goldfish in, hes about 2.5in along with my last surviving tiger barb. 

Been seeing the lion head goldfish chasing my barb all day long, but the barb is way to fast for the goldfish to catch up, therefore feeding the barb gets kinda hard as the gold fish just gobble up everything it sees.

Anyone have that issue of lion head goldfish being aggressive towards other fishes.

Goldfish are coldwater/subtropical fish and tiger barbs are tropical. If goldfish are kept at tropical temperatures they will have a dramatically shorter lifespan.

As above, can't mix cold and tropical fish in the same tank!

Did not know that.  But didnt get the answer I was looking for.

Goldfish in general will eat ANYTHING they can catch and fit into their mouths.

When animals are housed improperly, they experience stress. Your goldfishs stress is manifesting as aggression tword another fish.

The goldfish is highly social, but he is the only one of his species in the tank. He also needs more space to swim and maintain good mental health, again something he doesn't have. Finally, he is in with a semi aggressive fish who is also experiencing all the stress he is.

All of this is causing your goldfishs abnormal behavior, which does not happen when kept properly.

So the only solution is to adjust your stocking and get them out of the five. Get a 10-20 gallon to house your goldfish, buy another fancy Goldie to go with him. Get a separate 20 gallon for the tiger barb and 7 more of the same species. The 5 gallon is too small for either species for any amount of time.

Yea, as soon as my stalled out 55gl gets back up and running, I can rehouse them in it.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back