Can Kribs Get On With Clown Loaches & How Many To Buy?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

totally tropical

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I have a 300 litre tank with 6 red line torpedo barbs, 5 clown loaches, 4 bristlenose catfish and 10 khuli loach.

I would like to purchase some kribs, but wonder if the above fish would make suitable companions? My main concern is the clown loaches as they like to use the one of the two large caves that I have set up in the tank - possible confrontations?

Also, do I buy just one male and one female or one male and 3 females etc, not quite sure as I have read somewhere not to stock more than one male in the tank as they will kill each other? If kribs are not compatible any suggestions of other beautiful community fish that would mix well with the above?

Many thanks

Hi

they should be fine apart from time when kribs will breed as they will chase anything that comes to close to fry and to close might be a lot :) - depends from parents.

yes 1m 1f is enough however if you will get 1m 2-3f most of aggression will spread in spices

Hi

they should be fine apart from time when kribs will breed as they will chase anything that comes to close to fry and to close might be a lot :) - depends from parents.

yes 1m 1f is enough however if you will get 1m 2-3f most of aggression will spread in spices

What would you recommend? 1 male and 3 females or some other quota?

Cheers.

I would not advise it. Barbs are fast, erratic swimmers. They will severely stress out the kribs as they are shy fish. It may even lead to death ( I have seen it happen ). Besides that, kribs are NOT a harem fish. They pick a pair and stay that way for life ( there are exceptions though ). As I said before, it is not a good idea, and I would definately not recommend it.

I would not advise it. Barbs are fast, erratic swimmers. They will severely stress out the kribs as they are shy fish. It may even lead to death ( I have seen it happen ). Besides that, kribs are NOT a harem fish. They pick a pair and stay that way for life ( there are exceptions though ). As I said before, it is not a good idea, and I would definately not recommend it.

Will certainly take your advice and choose more suitable tank occupants.

Thank you so much :good:

I have 3 x kribs - two males and one female. I purchased what I was told was a male and female as youngsters but they turned out to be 2 x males. I then purchased a female which was in breeding mode so there was no mistake and she paired up with the largest male. I decided to keep them all to see how they all got on and if the males had fought I would have taken one back, but they get on fine and they all have a strange realationship.

The large male tolerates the other most days but will occasionally just chase him and he takes off round the back of my 3d background and then sneaks back out and keeps his head down. Every now and then the female who is devoted to the larger male will sneak off with the smaller one and flirt like mad. If the larger male catches her then she pretends to be cross and will chase him off, then they all swim round as mates! I love them - they are so full of character! :D

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back