Can I use two heaters after cold water change

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Al1ce

Reaction score
I really noticed the change in the weather when I did my 50/50 water change after treating my fish with ich over two weeks, the water was freezing and I noticed some fish where not happy even a bit shell shocked, so I grabbed my spare heater I have two of them in there they are 50W and the tank is 100 litre so just wanted to ask is it ok to leave them on over night ? Thanks

Yes, people with large tanks have 2 heaters permanently, they cut out once the desired temperature is attained.
When changing water try and get the temperature to a degree or two of the tank water (you can feel this by hand) to avoid distressing the fish.

Just heat the new water before it goes in the tank. If you are in the UK and have combi boiler, use hot tap water to adjust the temperature, but if you have a tank in an airing cupboard, boil a kettle of water. I think it is safe to use hot tap water in any other country.

I don’t personally use 2 heaters. I just fill up a milk jug (Clean) with warm water from my faucet, and then I treat it.

Just heat the new water before it goes in the tank. If you are in the UK and have combi boiler, use hot tap water to adjust the temperature, but if you have a tank in an airing cupboard, boil a kettle of water. I think it is safe to use hot tap water in any other country.
I wish I knew that, thanks, was always told to use the cold tap cos it’s fresh drinking water, and I just treat it with tap safe, I do have a combo, my poor fish hope they don’t get a cold I don’t know why I didn’t even think of adding some boiled water ‍♀️ It was in need of a desperate change after having a breakout of ich and on my 19 guppy fry just over 3 weeks old, and still present on some slightly, even lost a guppy today, but they are all much happier in their fresh water, il see if the heat turned up an salts helps get rid of any remaining ich before treating again. thanks

Hot water from combi boilers is fine to use because they work by taking in water from the mains and heating it as it is needed. The water that comes out of the hot tap is the same as if you'd run the cold tap into a kettle and boiled it :)

The person who said not to use hot tap water is probably thinking about the cylinder in the airing cupboard system. I know that it is not safe to drink hot water from this type, or use it in cooking (like my mother-in-law used to, to speed up the time it took to cook vegetables)

I wish I knew that, thanks, was always told to use the cold tap cos it’s fresh drinking water, and I just treat it with tap safe, I do have a combo, my poor fish hope they don’t get a cold I don’t know why I didn’t even think of adding some boiled water ‍♀️ It was in need of a desperate change after having a breakout of ich and on my 19 guppy fry just over 3 weeks old, and still present on some slightly, even lost a guppy today, but they are all much happier in their fresh water, il see if the heat turned up an salts helps get rid of any remaining ich before treating again. thanks
Heat does help to get rid of ich (Or ick) and so does salt. If you turn up the heat to around 80 degrees Fahrenheit, and keep dosing salt baths, your guppies will be good in no time. ;)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back